What to bring when traveling light?

A shotgun with a long barrel should do it. Just make sure to use good ammo. I like hornady critical defense and federal premium 00 buck. They both use the Tru flight wad which in my experience tightens up your groups considerably.

I'm not a fan of the "travel light" theory when I'm traveling to a hunting destination where multiple opportunities exist and I'm not sure what I'll get to hunt. For one, I don't like to borrow guns. Half the fun for me is getting to enjoy using guns I've invested in and don't get to use often enough. So all the toys I have go with me...varmit guns, hog gun, favorite BBQ handgun, shotgun, spotting scope, rangefinder, binocs, snake boots, ground blind, etc. My hunting buddies like to make snotty comments about all the crap I bring...until they need something...then I am the smartest guy in the world.

Mode of travel is the key here. My buddies like to fly to Kansas for deer hunt and so they have to travel light. I prefer to drive my truck so I can bring everything I might need. I can't tell you how many times a spare gun, second pair of boots, etc has come in handy. So, if you are driving, take it all! Use it, enjoy it.

If you are flying then take a handgun you can hunt hogs and yotes with...make it a challenge. Then bring your Benelli with bird and buck shot. Or buy my Blaser takedown rifle and carry the .22-250, .270 and .338 win mag bbls. You can get it all in one travel case.

Good luck and post pics. Sounds like a fun trip.

I'm not a fan of the "travel light" theory when I'm traveling to a hunting destination where multiple opportunities exist and I'm not sure what I'll get to hunt. For one, I don't like to borrow guns. Half the fun for me is getting to enjoy using guns I've invested in and don't get to use often enough. So all the toys I have go with me...varmit guns, hog gun, favorite BBQ handgun, shotgun, spotting scope, rangefinder, binocs, snake boots, ground blind, etc. My hunting buddies like to make snotty comments about all the crap I bring...until they need something...then I am the smartest guy in the world.

Mode of travel is the key here. My buddies like to fly to Kansas for deer hunt and so they have to travel light. I prefer to drive my truck so I can bring everything I might need. I can't tell you how many times a spare gun, second pair of boots, etc has come in handy. So, if you are driving, take it all! Use it, enjoy it.

If you are flying then take a handgun you can hunt hogs and yotes with...make it a challenge. Then bring your Benelli with bird and buck shot. Or buy my Blaser takedown rifle and carry the .22-250, .270 and .338 win mag bbls. You can get it all in one travel case.

Good luck and post pics. Sounds like a fun trip.
I hear you but yeah I'm driving not flying, and the (small) car at that and leaving the truck. 38mpg vs 17mpg and all that. I already have to bring one rifle that's not coming back (trading my brother for a handgun) so not wanting to be loaded down. I may decide I don't even want to bother hunting. It's a trip to visit family first and foremost. Plus with it being a couple thousands miles before I'm back, that obviously increases the chances of something happening and me having to deal with multiple guns.

I think shotgun and lever is the winning recipe unless the next conversation he gets squishy about the "everything within 100 yards.

2211.JPG

A butt plug, because your guts won't have a way to catch up

Oh, travelling light, not travelling at the speed of light...carry on

Back
Top Bottom