• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What to look for when buying my first M1 Garand

5bassman

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
124   0
Reaction score
I'm hoping to be in the market for an M1 Garand this summer. I've wanted one for years, but see prices all over the place. It probably won't get shot a lot, but me and the grandson both enjoy WWI and WWII stuff. Any tips would be great.

Here's a couple of items we recently picked up. 1943 German Police Helmet and WWII U.S. Army 10 cap blasting machine.

Best bet is to wait until the CMP store in Anniston, AL has some in stock. THey are pretty bare now because of mail backorders and recent carbine sales so give it a month or 2. You could mail order but then it would be a luck of the draw. Go to their website Sales FAQ - Civilian Marksmanship Program

The store is open Th-Sat 8am-3pm Central. Call the store the fday before you go to see if there are rifles (Field Grades or Service Grades). Right now they only have "Specials" that have brand new barrels and stocks for $1030. Great shooters but they lack collectability.

I prefer WWII receivers with WWII barrels if the barrel has low muzzle wear and throat (chamber) wear. I prefer ME2 and TE 3 or lower.

Many Garands had their barrels replaced as they wore out. You can see the date stamped on the barrel when you pull back the operations rod, See picture below,

I'd say only about 20% still have WWII barrels. That's only important if you are a rabid collector. Price also varies by manufacturer. Springfield made the most so they are less expensive normally than the others. Scott A. Duff Publications and Historic Martial Arms: Who Made M1 Garands? How Many Were Made? When Were They Made?

This chart can show when they were made. USRifleCAL30M1.com

Hope that helps, If you ever go to the CMP store someone there will be glad to help you, even other customers but definitely the staff. Just tell them you are looking for your first Garand.

Don't wait too long because they have stated they may run out by mid 2017.

2.6 SA (8).JPG

I agree with everything said above. I just my first purchased one locally and am thrilled. I did join the cmp and will be ordering one from them eventually. The biggest thing for me is the tremendous amount of literature that is out there. Read up. Learn. Watch the original ww2 M1 instructional vids on you tube. There are a lot of parts to these guns so try to master each system and become very familiar with the rifle.

This video may help.

I prefer the wwii era with original parts and stock. Love the history just as much as shoiting them. Meet up with me or another odt brother sometime and shoot ours to get your hands on one and see what you like. You might want to read some about TE and ME as measurements to know how worn your muzzlr and chamber throat are.

M1 is all over the board , most mix masters. SA and WRA made WW II M1, IHC and HRA made also for Korea.
Unless collectible War 2 barrel is not important lots have replacement barrels from the 50s.
Other parts easily changed if so inclined.
Stocks can be made to look great so as long as not cracked don't be afraid of dark dirty vintage stocks.
ME / TE very important as is rifling.
They are wonderful weapons that are a very important part of our history.

Early model Garands have lock bar sights and milled trigger guards.

Google how to grease it so it runs right.

Learn how to load it properly so you don't get Garand thumb!

Don't join CMP, it's a ripoff.

:p

Dangit, now I want to go shoot mine!

Back
Top Bottom