• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's everyone's consensus on the Mak-90

I had one. I liked the trigger. Smooth and reasonably light.
I didn't like the crude sights, which were canted on my rifle, and which required a lot of effort to drift the front sight left and right. In order to zero it, I had to get the front sight post visibly off-center in relation to the surrounding round guard.

Mine was reliable.
Not very accurate. With cheap Wolf or Russian ammo dated in the middle 1990s, it gave me groups the size of a pizza box at 100 yards. Large pizzas, not personal pan.

I hated the thumbhole stock. I eventually took a rasp and some sandpaper to it to widen the thumb hole and round-off the edges. Then I rattle-can painted the gun, had fun with it, plinking at the range, and sold it cheap. Like $350, a few years ago. (I think I only paid $199 for it back in the early 90s).

I recently sold my NHM-90, which preceded the MAK-90 designation. Well, my NHM actually had Type 56S markings that were stamped out to comply with the Bush Import Ban. Very fun rifle. Great Chinese mil-spec trigger and bolt. I personally liked the thumbhole stock but I've got a few guns with those so I guess I'm accustomed to it.

Many years ago I bought a MAK-90 in college for $300 or $325 or something like that. It was a good rifle while I had it. Certainly had more luck with it than the WASR I also owned around the same time period.

As to accuracy, my copy is just as accurate- if not more so - than a converted saiga and a hungarian sa85m i owned previously.

I had one. I liked the trigger. Smooth and reasonably light.
I didn't like the crude sights, which were canted on my rifle, and which required a lot of effort to drift the front sight left and right. In order to zero it, I had to get the front sight post visibly off-center in relation to the surrounding round guard.

Mine was reliable.
Not very accurate. With cheap Wolf or Russian ammo dated in the middle 1990s, it gave me groups the size of a pizza box at 100 yards. Large pizzas, not personal pan.

I hated the thumbhole stock. I eventually took a rasp and some sandpaper to it to widen the thumb hole and round-off the edges. Then I rattle-can painted the gun, had fun with it, plinking at the range, and sold it cheap. Like $350, a few years ago. (I think I only paid $199 for it back in the early 90s).

I got a NIB Norinco China Sport Mak 90 back in the early 90s, about $175.00, ammo was about $.10 a round.

Mine has an ambidextrous thumb hole stock. There's nothing like grabbing a Mak 90 loaded with 30 rd mag, in each hand, and blasting off 60 rounds 2x.

I cut a V in the rear sight, and pointed the front sight, shot a doe at about 150 yards double lung, she made it bout 50 yards.

It makes an awesome hog gun, but it is a wee bit heavy,

IMG_0853.JPG

The most absurdly over priced gun on the market. People are asking 4 or 5 times the price of new one for a used one! Fools.

Ps. Today I'm putting a Chicom finished Ironwood Set on mine. I love it.

Loved them when they were the "Mosins of the 90's". If you bought ten at a time you got a huge discount. Absolute best triggers of any I've ever fired except for some TAPCOs my buddy has worked on on his rifles. Wish I'd kept more of the one's I've had over the years and I really wish I'd bought an stockpiled the $20 complete ChiCom furniture sets Ben sold at the shows.

Back
Top Bottom