• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats the biggest risk youve taken for a C&R gun?

daytonlawvol

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   1
Reaction score
Purchased an SVT40 off of gunboards last year, sight unseen. Had all the hallmarks of a scammer....he reached out to me after I put out a "want to buy" ad...didnt accept paypal, had minimum feedback, was located in upstate New York etc...

Sent him a USPS money order for $900 shipped....could have easily been screwed. Hadnt seen an SVT40 at a price under $1000 since ive been collecting so I took a chance....and luckily for me it worked out perfectly.

Anyone else taken big risks for a C&R sale?

Purchased an SVT40 off of gunboards last year, sight unseen. Had all the hallmarks of a scammer....he reached out to me after I put out a "want to buy" ad...didnt accept paypal, had minimum feedback, was located in upstate New York etc...

Sent him a USPS money order for $900 shipped....could have easily been screwed. Hadnt seen an SVT40 at a price under $1000 since ive been collecting so I took a chance....and luckily for me it worked out perfectly.

Anyone else taken big risks for a C&R sale?

No way I would have done that deal!

Glad it worked out for you!

I guess all of my deals have been pretty low risk.

I drove all the way to Gainesville GA to buy a Mauser Broomhandle. Does that count?

Biggest gamble I took was buying a guy's collection sight unseen with just a basic list of what he was offering. I drove 2 hours out to pick it up having agreed to the deal. It included some black powder stuff that I didn't want, but they guy wouldn't split up the lot.
In hindsight, it was a pretty good deal. I ended up getting a Erma Werke K98, Steyr M95, No. 4 Mk. I, Hex Mosin, Postwar M44, Type 56 SKS, and a bunch of Nazi ammo, assorted stripper clips and other stuff in addition to all the pistols I didn't want. I got very lucky that every rifle was in about the best condition you could find. It was a little weird going in blind, but the gamble paid off.

Once i bought multiple crates of milsurp ammo, sight unseen, from a guy who inherited it from his grandfather but he didnt like guns. I had to agree to buy it all before i could meet him at his mini-storage bin to see what it was. He showed me a few samples but he really didn't know (or care) what he had. Felt really awkward but it turned out to be quite a deal.....

I met a guy who was trading me an Egyptian Rasheed for a wasr. I thought it sounded to good to be true didn't think anyone could be that retarded :tongue: but we both showed up with what we were supposed to.......:boink:

That first one is a joke all though it did happen both rifles were worth the same at the time. And the trade was with the OP. who still has first right of refusal if I ever decide to part with it.

I am the one who ended up with the "scrubbed" M1 carbine that was on here a few weeks back. He had good pictures but you never really know what you have until you hold it and take it apart for the $400 it was definitely worth the low risk. Plus I sold an AR for $370 to pay myself back so only having $30 bucks in it was great since I am poor right now. At the meet the guy even tossed in ammo for it.

I did meet a guy at his house who had zero feedback and 2 posts to buy a mosin or a enfield cant remember it was a years back. I thought we were just going to meet in his drive way so I called him when I got there. This was the first time I had spoke with him on the phone he sounded like darth Vader I saw the front door open and he told me to come inside. I walked up to the door just to scope it out and see if my gut feeling of RUN! was right dude was in a wheelchair with all sorts of tubes going into him. Anyway turned out to be a really cool old man had some cool war stories I hung out with him for almost 2 hours just b.s.ing figured he didn't get much company. Wish I could remember he user name he never left me feed back and don't think he ever signed back on. I did tell him having random people enter his house to buy guns from the Internet was a really stupid idea so maybe that sunk in and he took my advice.

The more I think about this I think it was to buy an Arisaka it's funny that the guy and our conversation is so memorable but what I was there to buy isnt.

Back
Top Bottom