• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Whats the deal with LEE and CC's?

BillMe45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
I'm new to reloading, in the last week I just traded for a Lee Challenger kit. Got it set up and ready to load some 300 BLK. Between various reloading manuals (legit online sources and in print) and my local gun store there was only one powder in stock that could be used with ANY published load. So I came home with a box of 180gr Sierra BTSP and a pound of IMR 4198...got a long list of powders to look for out of town.

Well my starting load is 15.5 grains, no problems there, got my scale set up and calibrated then I turned to my Lee Perfect Powder Measure... those sorry jokers at Lee put the measurements on the powder measure in Cubic Centimeters. Now how do you measure by volume when powders are cut differently and are varying density's? Some math and online sources showed that it should come out to around 1.2 CC's but that measured only 13 Gr's.

I think I should just go by weight and ignore the "CC" marks on the adjustment, just keep turning and weighing till it comes out right. What do yall think? Am I missing something here?

I always set to a weighted load, and check the load weight often. First off, get a good digital scale. then just dial in your charge and go Powder mass is different on all powders, If you want to make yourself crazy, get a pro 1000 and figure out the pre measured charging rings.

You guys make this stuff sound difficult, the cc is because it's meant to be simple and used with their dipper kit, you can get as accurate as you want but the charging sheet they gave you is free and most dies don't give you anything so be thankful for that, as far as converting it's a simple formula, a small digital scale is better anyways.

You gotta remember that Lee's are represented for beginners so it's not meant to be super accurate, their equipment is good enough to produce ammo that's more accurate than 99% of the people on here can appreciate anyways.

VMD changes between jars of powder. The chart will get you close. I stick the actual measured VDM on the jug lid once I figure it out.

No powder thrower is going to measure in grains. They all measure in some form of volume. Lee uses CC's, other use some proprietary micrometer measurements. Either way the only way to figure it out is to estimate, check and adjust from there. Once you get to the point you need to be you record the setting. I keep my in my online log book. Others write it on the bottle. When you get a new bottle of powder you verify.

If you don't want to keep track of this you can either hand pour each load or get one of the chargemaster style throwers attached to a scale.

No powder thrower is going to measure in grains. They all measure in some form of volume. Lee uses CC's, other use some proprietary micrometer measurements. Either way the only way to figure it out is to estimate, check and adjust from there. Once you get to the point you need to be you record the setting. I keep my in my online log book. Others write it on the bottle. When you get a new bottle of powder you verify.

If you don't want to keep track of this you can either hand pour each load or get one of the chargemaster style throwers attached to a scale.
That makes sense, the measure can only work on volume. Just seemed like being 2.5gr off on a 15gr load was a lot.

Last edited:
The volume also depends on the type of powder same scoop of 3 different powders that even look the same will have a different weight because of what the base is made of. The way I use the Lee is to:
1 set the powder measure with the chart (ball park the charge for the powder being used)
2 pull the handle twice to get the powder flowing
3 put the next charge of powder on the scale
4 adjust up or down and reset the lock ring
5 repeat step 3 and 4 until desired weight is reached
6 once reached pull handle 2 to 3 time and put powder to side
7 measure next powder charge on scale
a) if desired weight holds then start loading
b) if not repeat step 3 and 4
8 as you load every 15 to 20 rounds I check the powder weight again to make sure I am in spec

Back
Top Bottom