• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Whats the deal with LEE and CC's?

I might be pushing 20k rounds of ammo now with my Lee turret setup.
The powder measure works fine for all regular pistol and rifle rounds.
If you're making super accurate rifle rounds you will want a powder trickler.
The difference between 25.9 grains of RL-15 and 26.2 grains can be seen on a target at 100 yards.
It's just maybe 3/8 of an inch, but you can see it.

I have noticed a very small difference in the powder density of the same powders, having used the same powder for years.
It'll throw 2.8 to 3.1 grains when I'm making 9's for example, but only if I get into another new pound.
2.8 to 3.1 works well in every 9mm handgun or rifle I own. I've never had a problem because of that small of a difference.
The difference is even smaller than that when working off the same pound.

Tap the hopper a few times to pack the powder a tad which is what happens while you're making them.
Dump powder 2 or 3 times back in to the hopper.
Weight the 4th and if it's within tolerance for your needs, run them.
They'll all be fine, I promise you.

Oh and like someone else said, write the settings down, so you won't have to figure them out ever again for that powder.

Last edited:
I might be pushing 20k rounds of ammo now with my Lee turret setup.
The powder measure works fine for all regular pistol and rifle rounds.
If you're making super accurate rifle rounds you will want a powder trickler.
The difference between 25.9 grains of RL-15 and 26.2 grains can be seen on a target at 100 yards.
It's just maybe 3/8 of an inch, but you can see it.

I have noticed a very small difference in the powder density of the same powders, having used the same powder for years.
It'll throw 2.8 to 3.1 grains when I'm making 9's for example, but only if I get into another new pound.
2.8 to 3.1 works well in every 9mm handgun or rifle I own. I've never had a problem because of that small of a difference.
The difference is even smaller than that when working off the same pound.

Tap the hopper a few times to pack the powder a tad which is what happens while you're making them.
Dump powder 2 or 3 times back in to the hopper.
Weight the 4th and if it's within tolerance for your needs, run them.
They'll all be fine, I promise you.

Oh and like someone else said, write the settings down, so you won't have to figure them out ever again for that powder.

Starting out I was expecting published data to be closer than it is. A couple thousand rounds into it now, I know what to expect. The listed data is a good starting point but I have to work from there to get just what I want.

Yesterday afternoon I ran some "plinker" 45-70's. A 300gr LFP over 14gr of Trailboss. According to my Volume Measure Density chart, 14gr of Trailboss (0.2172 VMD) would be 3.04 CC's. But the actual setting on my LEE powder measure is 3.22 CC's to get 14gr. With that being said though all 50 charges ran between 13.9 and 14.2 grains (I'm still weighing every charge, using the single stage with the pour through 45-70 dies it takes just a few seconds to discharge into my scale's pan, hang it, weigh it and then pour into the case). In test firing a few that evening I couldn't tell any difference from one load to the next. Not in recoil or on my 25 yard backyard target. I can sure see biker bill, how .3 gr would show up at 100yard and farther, though.

The LEE single stage setup is still working well for me. I can sure see the advantages of a progressive or turret setup but for now I'm still happy to take it slow.

Starting out I was expecting published data to be closer than it is. A couple thousand rounds into it now, I know what to expect. The listed data is a good starting point but I have to work from there to get just what I want.

Yesterday afternoon I ran some "plinker" 45-70's. A 300gr LFP over 14gr of Trailboss. According to my Volume Measure Density chart, 14gr of Trailboss (0.2172 VMD) would be 3.04 CC's. But the actual setting on my LEE powder measure is 3.22 CC's to get 14gr. With that being said though all 50 charges ran between 13.9 and 14.2 grains (I'm still weighing every charge, using the single stage with the pour through 45-70 dies it takes just a few seconds to discharge into my scale's pan, hang it, weigh it and then pour into the case). In test firing a few that evening I couldn't tell any difference from one load to the next. Not in recoil or on my 25 yard backyard target. I can sure see biker bill, how .3 gr would show up at 100yard and farther, though.

The LEE single stage setup is still working well for me. I can sure see the advantages of a progressive or turret setup but for now I'm still happy to take it slow.

If and when you decide to up your productivity a little, the turret will be all you need.

I belong to a gun club. I'm there shooting every week, most weeks at least a couple of times. The turret is fast enough.

When I'm running low on something, I get into the routine of just making 100 every night for a week or so. It takes me maybe 40 minutes to make 100 pistol rounds. That's not super fast, but definitely fast enough to build a stockpile. Once you have brass resized and deprimed for rifle rounds in only takes a few minutes longer to make 100.

The first thing I do with a new-out-of-the-box powder measure is to wipe it down inside-and-and-out with a clean cloth.
Then, the plastic hopper gets a rubdown with a dryer sheet ... inside.
Then it gets a rubdown with graphite on the inside / measuring chamber.

My "disks" on the Lee Pro are included in this treatment.

Also, pay attention to power levels in the hopper: best consistency is achieved when you don't let it get below half-full.
Some powder measures / powders work best with a "Baffle" installed (You can even make the baffle yourself!)

BTW: The Lee Classic Turret Press is my all-time-favorite for consistent, reliable and accurate loads at a good level of production ...

Last edited:
I didnt know there was a powder that worked for every load

Probally not!
but there are quite a few that work for a large majority of the calibers and loads.
Now you will not get top performance by using one powder, but several powders will work for a good many loads and calibers, some even work with Pistol, rifle and shotgun actually.
Many pistol powders began life as shotgun powders.

He mentioned 357 mag and 9m that powder would work for. Would that really work with those 2 rounds?

I am pretty sure that Unique will work with about any pistol cartridge, that's one of the reasons for the name , it is kind of unique in its ability to load numerous cartridges. now again you are NOT going to get top performance but yes It should work and work pretty well.
IF loading defensive rounds then I look for a powder that generally will deliver in the top 10% in power and adjust the velocity by testing from there.
in plinking loads many just want the projectile to come out the end of the barrel and be some what accurate.
The individual reloader has to determine what fits the need.

I never paid any attention to the marks on the powder thrower.. I just open it up until I consistantly get the weight I want (5 or 6 measured throws before I start putting anything in brass, and they all have to come out the same)

Also you have to remember that the powder is not packed into your measure so you've got varying amounts of air mixed in with the powder.

When doing a single stage like that I typically will tap the side of the thrower 5 times to pack the powder into the measure, then another 5 when I throw it to make sure it all comes out. I get MUCH more consistant loading doing this

Back
Top Bottom