• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Whats the deal with LEE and CC's?

The volume also depends on the type of powder same scoop of 3 different powders that even look the same will have a different weight because of what the base is made of. The way I use the Lee is to:
1 set the powder measure with the chart (ball park the charge for the powder being used)
2 pull the handle twice to get the powder flowing
3 put the next charge of powder on the scale
4 adjust up or down and reset the lock ring
5 repeat step 3 and 4 until desired weight is reached
6 once reached pull handle 2 to 3 time and put powder to side
7 measure next powder charge on scale
a) if desired weight holds then start loading
b) if not repeat step 3 and 4
8 as you load every 15 to 20 rounds I check the powder weight again to make sure I am in spec

Thats about were I'm at with it. I guess I just thought that if they went to the trouble of making the chart and everything it would be closer... but as a whole the kit is more then adequate for me.

As has been said by you and others: you have to weigh it. The measures only work on a volume setting, but the powder energy comes from the mass of powder burned--no matter how dense it may be.

I just ball park the first setting and fine tune by weighing.

I have never found a lee recommendation to be on the money , they have always been a tad light when weighed for me and so I typically look at the chart as a fast start up to finding the weight I want, then I go one size larger , drop a few and weigh them.
I am sure that this is a safety measure weighing less than stated.
there have been tens of thousands of loads made right at the range/ shooting line using the Lee equipment and has served for generations its purpose.

I agree-

Also, powder brands are supposed to be consistent in the mass burned verses pressure, power, energy produced. But, depending on the true manufacturers of the powder, the density may change.

I approached reloading with extreme caution. I was completely shocked when I opened my Lee die set and saw the "dipper". Just get you a scoop of power and load it up. After dealing with it a little I see that its all coming in very light. Its no problem to keep adjusting and weighing and I've been very pleased with the dies and press.

HIAT HIAT

If been working on these loads with a S&W Sport that I rebarreled with a Green Mountain 16" 300BLK. For that 14.5" AAC barrel I'm still waiting on a BCM upper to come in, got a Samson EVO 7.6" handguard for it. This is it mocked up in a stripped Spikes upper. I think I'm going to have my new baby in this thing. VVV

0507150609-01.jpg

A point worth noting is that commercial loads are measured by volume as well; nobody wants to wait for a scale reading on a high-output assembly line! On the other hand, as long as your process is carefully consistent (repeatable), an appropriately dialed-in volume measurement will be your best friend and cut your production time, too!

P.S.- Be sure to run several hoppers of powder through your powder measure to coat with graphite, or wipe out with a dryer sheet, to ensure consistent fall of powder with each throw.

Back
Top Bottom