Whats the point of a bug out bag? RANT warning

If I am in a place where society fails and have to walk home, no body's bothering me as I dont have a big ole bag of supplies on my back. So no I wont be one the side of the road waiting for help. I will be walking, walked out of NYC during 911, will walk home next time too. No body bothered me on my way across the Brooklyn Bridge, on my long walk home after 911, cant think of another scenario worse than that, at least one thats likely

This comment reminds me of the guy on the "Doomsday Preppers" show where a prepper's wife was mad at him for wasting money on prepping, b/c when she was younger, she left a war-zone on foot, and survived with nothing. Since they have gone threw disaster Macgyver style, means we all do too. B/c of that, there is no need to get ready.

Im sure most of us can can walk home covered in soot from work without a problem, just like this guy did. What most BOB/GHB users are getting ready for, is returning home/leaving home in a hostile environment. What if we have our families with us? What if our spouse isnt as strong willed? What if someone gets hurt? Too many "what if's" out there for me to not want to gather some items to make the situation easier. I for one am a GHB'er. I have a small bag with items that would make my trip on foot home that could take a few days easier, if the situation arisen where I would have to abandon my transportation.

Guess he never read the story "The Ant and the Grasshopper" as a kid?

-Carlo

My two cents worth but I think it's cute that everybody gets a bob full of stuff but seems to forget about water, that and seeing how 70 % of America can't do a pull up I suggest they put a donkey in the pack to carry it. Great rant

I have a BOB prepared along with my web gear and everything my small family needs to survive for a week. But there's NO WAY I'm leaving the safety and familiarity of my home unless I have no other choice.

My two cents worth but I think it's cute that everybody gets a bob full of stuff but seems to forget about water, that and seeing how 70 % of America can't do a pull up I suggest they put a donkey in the pack to carry it. Great rant

Most of the preppers I know don't forget water. Yes water is heavy, approximately 8.8 lbs per gallon. There are some that wrongly assume they will have unlimited access to water that they can filter, boil, distill, or whatever other purification method that they have in mind. Not all of us are planning to grab our BOBs and just run for the hills (not my first choice but it might work for some). Some of us are bugging in...other have a location already setup. And yes better be in shape!

Just so I'm clear, you have a backpack of supplies and you are gonna leave your well stocked house and set off on foot with a backpack for what possible scenario? To where, and why?

Me thinks you guys watch to many movies and ill formed and overly active imaginations.

I used to live in New England, we had apocolypes all the time, it was called a "SNOWSTORM." We lost power (gasp), roads were impenetrable (horrors), grocery stores ran out of milk and bread and water (shiver)

Then the white concrete melted to water and normal returned.

Occassionaly we had an apocolype called a "Hurricane", and sometimes a "Nor' Easter", and sometimes the dreaded "ICE STORM," oh no, not ICE!!!!! - Same as above, usually with loss of electical power for a couple days, sometimes week in the case of a hurricane.

No zombies though, must be a southern thing. Zombies dont like the cold?

You guys are all wasting your time, money and energy on this ****.

SHTF, you (we) are ALL screwed. If society ends, we all end, just b/c you got some MRE, or ammo or precious metals doesnt mean you are going to be able to make it more than a couple days/ weeks longer than those that dont, kidding yourself into believing otherwise is fantasy.

Camping might be a fun idea - FOR THE WEEKEND, but not for the rest of your life, unless maybe you are a crazed mountain man with no family.

Sorry end of rant.

Dude, you must not be married.
Sometimes you need to be prepared to get away from the main zombie queen from hell that won't let you sleep because she is in a bad mood and nagging about everything you ever did wrong since she met you.

You have the bag packed for occasions such as this but just " tell" her it just in case the SHTF and it's for the family.

Yes, Red Dawn is my favorite movie of all time.

It's got to be difficult to explain all this to people that simply don't get it. Trust me. I get it. I really do. In fact, I would probably prep too if I had any wiggle room in the budget to prepare for the worst. Prepping, however, is a state of mind. It's not just about buying a bunch of crap that you probably don't know how to use only to never use it because either (a) you never have to, or (b) you do something stupid to get yourself killed when SHTF.

Haven't you ever at least thought of where your water would come from if suddenly there was no more? Many, many plausible scenarios are very sad when you consider them. My wife, for example, is diabetic. Where will her insulin come from in the event of a collapse?

Ok, so fine. Having a BOB doesn't make sense to you. Surely considering and mentally understanding your available courses of action seems like a pretty good idea, right? Don't prep if you don't get it, but for goodness sake don't down people that do. And while you're at it, take into consideration all of your options in the event something horrible happens. That is, after all, what you were doing with your parachute and sneakers, right?

Last edited:
The parachute idea was definitely cool.

I'd probably do the same thing if I worked in a high rise.....hopefully I could remove the window should I feel the need to jump out of it.

My luck at the last second a fat lady would do a dive tackle as I was jumping to catch a free ride and would end up either killing both of us or catching a serious ass beatin' before falling to her death.

Yes, I watch too many movies.:D

Secondary plan. Say your home caught fire, no fire dept and you cant get control of thefire then what? you run out with no supplies or plans or you stay trying to gather supplies and die from smoke inhalation. That bag you have built is ready at all times, only to be touched for emergencies or making it better. You grab your bag as you run out of the house and you have basic supplies to help you survive. Its just a back up system, not the first plan

Back
Top Bottom