Whats the point of a bug out bag? RANT warning

I was making a statment after his replies. If you seriously dont understand something, no its not trollomg to ask But if you make a bold statement then argue with the people that are giving you perfectly good examples, you are indeed trolling. The original poster claims he kept a parachute and running shoes in his NY office in case of emergencies, yet can not fathom why people in GA would keep survival equipment in a bag.

Im not a prepper, but I am also someone who knows how to survive better than the average joe. I can see both sides of the tracks, and to me why not spend a few dollars on a bag that could even slightly have the off chance of saving your life?

I don't think he is....truth be told, I agree with him to a certain degree, I've just kept my mouth shut. "Prepping" has always been an odd subculture to me...but if it's your thing, I'm not going to rock your boat.

As my grandpapi used to say its better to have and not need than to need and not have. Guys like this is the reason theres a handgun and 30 hollow points in my bag.

Just so I'm clear, you have a backpack of supplies and you are gonna leave your well stocked house and set off on foot with a backpack for what possible scenario? To where, and why?

Me thinks you guys watch to many movies and ill formed and overly active imaginations.

I used to live in New England, we had apocolypes all the time, it was called a "SNOWSTORM." We lost power (gasp), roads were impenetrable (horrors), grocery stores ran out of milk and bread and water (shiver)

Then the white concrete melted to water and normal returned.

Occassionaly we had an apocolype called a "Hurricane", and sometimes a "Nor' Easter", and sometimes the dreaded "ICE STORM," oh no, not ICE!!!!! - Same as above, usually with loss of electical power for a couple days, sometimes week in the case of a hurricane.

No zombies though, must be a southern thing. Zombies dont like the cold?

You guys are all wasting your time, money and energy on this ****.

SHTF, you (we) are ALL screwed. If society ends, we all end, just b/c you got some MRE, or ammo or precious metals doesnt mean you are going to be able to make it more than a couple days/ weeks longer than those that dont, kidding yourself into believing otherwise is fantasy.

Camping might be a fun idea - FOR THE WEEKEND, but not for the rest of your life, unless maybe you are a crazed mountain man with no family.

Sorry end of rant.

Haha, GaGunGuy from New England? That is interesting....anyways I hope we are wasting our time and money and energy on all this. We all hope that it never happens, BUT if it does it will never hurt to be prepared. If you think we are only capable of only living a couple of days/weeks then your the one that is kidding yourself! We don't need technology. Do you think we became the country we are because we had faster internet access? We can live on the land, crops, animals, hard work? God made us who we are and all of us aren't ignorant! We have can survive, we have survived and we will survive!

End of Rant.

I'm not against preparation, when I worked in a tall building in NYC (pre 911) I kept a parachute and a pair of sneakers under my desk. Never told anyone about the parachute and the sneakers were for the gym, at least thats what someone would think. The sneakers were for running down the stairwell in case of a fire and the parachute was for jumping because the floor I was on was way above any ladder or other means of rescue. I moved to GA partly because of 911, my CT subburb was (is) well within a dirty bomb blast zone.

I just think that bugging out of a well stocked house seems like a bad idea, especially in rural subburban GA, and I was genuely curious about the motivation behind it (that and too much coffee.)

I seem to have it wrong, you guys are preppign to get back home, which doesnt seem like a bad idea.

My bad.

^^^^ looks like he got it here ^^^^

Just so I'm clear, you have a backpack of supplies and you are gonna leave your well stocked house and set off on foot with a backpack for what possible scenario? To where, and why?

Me thinks you guys watch to many movies and ill formed and overly active imaginations.

***snipola of the drivel in the middle concernng the "white hell" that is New England, etc***

Camping might be a fun idea - FOR THE WEEKEND, but not for the rest of your life, unless maybe you are a crazed mountain man with no family.

Sorry end of rant.

Why do you care?
My BOB is to get me back home.

And seriously - a parachute under your desk? That almost made me spew soda all over my laptop. Too funny....

And the sheep think we're nuts for having some extra ammo and stored food....

Last edited:
Why do you care?
My BOB is to get me back home.

And seriously - a parachute under your desk? That almost made me spew soda all over my laptop. Too funny....

And the sheep think we're nuts for having some extra ammo and stored food....

Why would you be bugging out to get home? That makes no sense. Are you going to leave home, take a quick tour around the wasteland and come back?

I have a get home bag in my car because I work in the city and might need to get home, or just to keep myself alive while at work.

I have a BOB at home because it Hurts nothing and no one to have around but if it's needed and I can use it to keep my wife safe then it's worth it. I am going out of town this weekend and will have both with me plus a few extra supplements based on where we will be.

People are ****ing crazy and I don't trust any of them and this is a little bit of piece of mind for me.

Back
Top Bottom