• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Whats Worng with my babby?

Also a weak battery will cause more wear on the starter as it can cause it to overheat due to the low amperage (current flow). This is forcing the starter to work harder.

I think I agree with that. If the battery has a low voltage, the amperage draw of a brushed starter motor will actually go up somewhat due to the slower rotational speed. Motors are usually rated in watts, and you'll get higher amp draw at a lower voltage. Electric motors and incandescent bulbs tend to poke holes in Ohms law.

I've had a few drinks on this fine Friday evening and may read this tomorrow and have a WTF was I thinking moment.

you keep thinking in volts
the amps do the damage
you can explain it all you want,it does not change the fact that it will damage your electrical system.
in the real world things work a little different then they do on paper.
but in the end
it looks like he will buy a battery
so its no big deal
you may jump start your bikes
you may choose to listen to me
you can ignore what i say
in the end i have seen many burned stators
it looks like i will see a few more

I have had my four wheeler repair guy tell me exactly the same thing.

Of course, our boy JLC knows about everything in the universe, so we should all bow to his constitutional, electrical, and starship knowledge. (We should also not be offended when he wears his ass for a hat-see post #125 for a fine example.) And of course, my repair guy has only fixed tens of thousands of small engines in the 40 or so years he has been in business. Naturally, he has no idea what in hell he is talking about either. JLC is so brilliant, maybe my mechanic could take a few lessons and learn to advance past his misconceptions and superstitions. He must really me a dumbass to have only made a good living at actually fixing stuff for 40 years!

I will continue to listen to pretty much anyone who ain't JLC. His "advice" is not designed to be helpful, informative, or pertinent. It is just designed to insult everyone and show his ass.

Last edited:
Here is my 0.02
From doing research on the internet I have found one consistent answer
If you use a car battery DO NOT have the engine running, it could cause damage to the electrical system on the bike.

I have a friend that has a
Suzuki GSX-R600
and he was having a problem running smooth and his mechanic told him not to run 90/10 blends because the set up is for pure gas.

Of course, our boy JLC knows about everything in the universe, so we should all bow to his constitutional, electrical, and starship knowledge. (We should also not be offended when he wears his ass for a hat-see post #125 for a fine example.) And of course, my repair guy has only fixed tens of thousands of small engines in the 40 or so years he has been in business. Naturally, he has no idea what in hell he is talking about either. JLC is so brilliant, maybe my mechanic could take a few lessons and learn to advance past his misconceptions and superstitions. He must really me a dumbass to have only made a good living at actually fixing stuff for 40 years!

I will continue to listen to pretty much anyone who ain't JLC. His "advice" is not designed to be helpful, informative, or pertinent. It is just designed to insult everyone and show his ass.

looks like i need to add you to my friends list:D

i have found that ( if he is or wants to be )engineers know all and can do none.
they can write a process but in the real world a worker always does it the right way.

I'm sure he is not meaning to come forward as Being a smart a$$. He seems adamant in what he learned in his education and must be frustrating trying to explain what seems to be a two way problem. Yes, I agree when you on motors and some electronics kinda seat away from Ohms law but they are flawed mechanically, a rusted brush motor will of coarse draw until some burns or trips the breaker:fuse. Ohms law I=V/R more specifically, Ohms law states that the R in this relation is constant, independent of the current.

Have you ever in your life studied electricity or electronics? Did the exceptionally simple explanation of the relationship between current (amps) and voltage that I posted earlier go too in-depth? I'm not talking based on taking 1 course on electricity in high school or college. I'm talking as someone who has taught power generation, tells power companies how all of their system work, and tells them how to run their systems and entire power plants."""LOOK""" They trust me with their multi-billion dollar plants for a reason"""LOOK""". I have the education and experience to know what I'm talking about when it comes to electricity and power generation whether it's a 400MW AC generator or multiple 64 cell batteries used for a UPS system. If you're blaming using the wrong 12v battery for causing damage to electrical circuits then you're failing to find the real cause which is either using something other than a 12v battery, connecting the battery incorrectly, or a problem in the electrical system before jumping the bike.

must be why my power goes out when it rains

I'm sure he is not meaning to come forward as Being a smart a$$. He seems adamant in what he learned in his education and must be frustrating trying to explain what seems to be a two way problem. Yes, I agree when you on motors and some electronics kinda seat away from Ohms law but they are flawed mechanically, a rusted brush motor will of coarse draw until some burns or trips the breaker:fuse. Ohms law I=V/R more specifically, Ohms law states that the R in this relation is constant, independent of the current.

when someone tells me science says its this way and thats,that.
i say yep and a bumble bee can't fly.body to big,wings to small.

When an old timer says don't do it, I usually don't. He is just saying
Sometimes bad things happen, and that is 100% true. Electronics are not perfect since we(humans) make them. They will fail often and sometimes leave is scratching out heads for a minute until we figure out what really happened. Yes you can charge a moto battery with a car, but if you wanna be 200% safe don't do it at all!! My last post here, I hope. I have no hard feelings with anyone nor did I mean to offend anyone with my personal experience, and what I've learned. Maybe we should talk less and ride more. My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom