• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Whats Worng with my babby?

To the original poster. If you are just getting a bike I would suggest you find a local shop and give them a chance to sell you a battery. 1. You might find they can sell you a battery for the same price or close to http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...TruGel-Battery-2006-Honda-CBR600RR-Parts.aspx. 2. You may find that if that doesnt fix your bike they may be willing to help since you got a battery from them 3. If your battery goes bad and TruGel gets a batch from time to time the shop you buy it at will handle the warranty. 4. You may find someone that enjoys the same things you do and may suggest some cool places to ride etc. 5. That said you may find they are jerks and if so go down the road. Just an idea.

looks like i need to add you to my friends list:D

i have found that ( if he is or wants to be )engineers know all and can do none.
they can write a process but in the real world a worker always does it the right way.

That is just the way JLC rolls.

He is like that about absolutely everything. I have had constitutional debates with the guy, and he is smarter than the damn people who wrote it-and anyone who has ever read it.

Most actual engineers with degrees are not nearly as pompous as our pal JLC. I don't really care whether he is an engineer or not. I just don't like his condescending style. Sure, a lot of us here may not have Phd's in astrophysics (and I am sure JLC ain't got that) but that is no reason to run around and disrespect every one else's opinion-at all times, and concerning all subjects.

I am closely related to an actual engineer-one who has a license and a degree. God needs them. We need them, but designing things is not exactly the same as building them. Theory and practice are not often friends. There is a little bastard called "Murphy" with which guys have a little grease on their hands are well acquainted.

I listen to the Car Talk guys a lot, and I remember them recently talking about hiring a bunch of mechanical engineering students to work in their shop one summer. They said it was the worst disaster they ever had! (Knowing my engineer as well as I do, I can relate.) We all need both kinds of "smart," but they are not the same kind of "smart."

I was changing the alternator in my wife's 9-3 and cannot tell you the number of times I said "I wish the effin engineer that designed this had to help change this alternator. If changing an external part, that WILL go bad on every car eventually, requires you to jack the engine up and unbolt the motor mounts something went wrong in the engineering process.

That being said. Just for kicks, I decided to put my Oscilloscope on the main 12vdc of my Honda Recon a few minutes ago. When i turned the key There was a noticeable, steady dip in vdc as current rose. When a car battery was connected instead the dip was minimal. I then let it run and revved it. The scope showed a noticeable, albeit small change. I then cranked the car and the scope spiked 3v and dropped back to normal. When I disconnected the jumper cable there was "noise" on the line. If I did it quickly it was a clean drop. When I rubbed the lead as I pulled it off it was noisy and looked more like a saw wave.

So.... I say there is room here for both parties to be right.

I stand behind the science that is Ohm's law. Voltage is potential. It can only "pull" X amount of current (amps) across/through Y amount of impedance/resistance.

I also see where the noise and spikes associated with placing a jumper cable connected to a car battery with an alternator running at 14VDC could fry a sensitive computer given the right circumstances.

I was changing the alternator in my wife's 9-3 and cannot tell you the number of times I said "I wish the effin engineer that designed this had to help change this alternator. If changing an external part, that WILL go bad on every car eventually, requires you to jack the engine up and unbolt the motor mounts something went wrong in the engineering process.

That being said. Just for kicks, I decided to put my Oscilloscope on the main 12vdc of my Honda Recon a few minutes ago. When i turned the key There was a noticeable, steady dip in vdc as current rose. When a car battery was connected instead the dip was minimal. I then let it run and revved it. The scope showed a noticeable, albeit small change. I then cranked the car and the scope spiked 3v and dropped back to normal. When I disconnected the jumper cable there was "noise" on the line. If I did it quickly it was a clean drop. When I rubbed the lead as I pulled it off it was noisy and looked more like a saw wave.

So.... I say there is room here for both parties to be right.

I stand behind the science that is Ohm's law. Voltage is potential. It can only "pull" X amount of current (amps) across/through Y amount of impedance/resistance.

I also see where the noise and spikes associated with placing a jumper cable connected to a car battery with an alternator running at 14VDC could fry a sensitive computer given the right circumstances.
Yes that seems right. If you have a good meter the alternator aignal output should read anywhere from 1 to 6 COS at idle, usually around 5.5 on most vehicles.

Last edited:
Go to batteries plus and get a nice Yuausa. They last a long time. AGV are nice as well. Depends on your application really. Taking care of your battery during winter by trickle charging is good practice.

Try to find batteries local just in case you need to return them.I hate dealing with the net on returns.Like I said before find a batteryplus and buy from them or the dealer to have a warranty local.
BatteryTender is a great trickle charger and I use them all the time from my lawn mowers and 4wheelers bikes and golf cart
Found a batteryplus near by :)

Back
Top Bottom