When you have a plumber, that is doing work for free.

Generally crappy products means a crappy project. Cpvc pipe is a crappy product, ergo, no surprise on the 'grounding' attempt in the photo.

What is PEX. IS that to replace cpvc.
Pex is a type of plastic plumbing pipe. It's used a lot where wells are in use because of the corrosion caused by the well water, metal type water pipes would build up corrosion. The pex won't so much. However the Pex is only rated for 100psi. CPVC in schedule 40 is good for @ 450psi and copper is over 1000. Pex is supposed to be able to expand if water freezes inside. They've been using this stuff in new houses now. It's much cheaper than copper. I remember all the problems from the poly pipe 30+ yrs ago. I wonder if we'll see the same with Pex. If given a little care, copper is a great material. I live in a 55 yr old house with copper, never a problem. Nuff said. Galvanized would never last that long. CPVC would as long as the plastic and glued joints held up and not buried where the ground would settle. Plus the plastic pipes are more prone to split if water freezes in them. That stuff hasn't been around long enough to make these claims yet. Copper has. That said, there isn't a complete perfect solution. All plumbing pipes have their weaknesses

Pex is a type of plastic plumbing pipe. It's used a lot where wells are in use because of the corrosion caused by the well water, metal type water pipes would build up corrosion. The pex won't so much. However the Pex is only rated for 100psi. CPVC in schedule 40 is good for @ 450psi and copper is over 1000. Pex is supposed to be able to expand if water freezes inside. They've been using this stuff in new houses now. It's much cheaper than copper. I remember all the problems from the poly pipe 30+ yrs ago. I wonder if we'll see the same with Pex. If given a little care, copper is a great material. I live in a 55 yr old house with copper, never a problem. Nuff said. Galvanized would never last that long. CPVC would as long as the plastic and glued joints held up and not buried where the ground would settle. Plus the plastic pipes are more prone to split if water freezes in them. That stuff hasn't been around long enough to make these claims yet. Copper has. That said, there isn't a complete perfect solution. All plumbing pipes have their weaknesses
PEX is a cross linked polyethylene extruded pipe. Depending on the fitting material and weather you can cold expanded the fittings or crimped the fittings. The pipe can hold up to 180 psi. The pipe expands and contracts with temperature changes. I have installed 10's of thousand feet of Uponor underground for services. So far no failures in 10 years. Copper has a ~50 year life depending on the quality of water. We replace a lot of copper in the East Cobb County. Goggle Cobb County copper pin hole leaks. CPVC gets brittle over time and in opinion is a ticking time bomb.

CPVC gets brittle over time and in opinion is a ticking time bomb.
Especially the hot water lines. Crazy friable brittle. If there was any stress placed on the hot water lines when the initial cpvc work was done it's ridiculous how little insult needs to be done to crack a line.

Back
Top Bottom