• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

When you taught your kids to shoot....?

the_great_white

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
122   0
Reaction score
When you teach your kids to shoot, do you start them out shooting with a scope, or teach them from iron sights?

I'll be teaching my niece soon and was curious as to whether starting her on a scope and then learning iron sights would be more beneficial, or starting her on iron sights and then moving her to a scope.

Not sure if it matters, but she is 6

Last edited:
I started teaching my three kids when they were between 4 and 6 years of age. We started with iron sights, but I always took a .22 rifle with a red dot.

For a younger kid it can be frustrating trying to line up rear sight, front sight and target, even if they understand the concept. Praise any holes in the paper and don't worry about groups at first. Any hole is a visual sign for a young kid to know that they are doing well. My daughter had the hardest time with iron sights, but she does well with the red dot. We always finish up range time with the red dot, so she can end on a high note and shooting can be about fun, not frustration.

I started teaching my three kids when they were between 4 and 6 years of age. We started with iron sights, but I always took a .22 rifle with a red dot.

For a younger kid it can be frustrating trying to line up rear sight, front sight and target, even if they understand the concept. Praise any holes in the paper and don't worry about groups at first. Any hole is a visual sign for a young kid to know that they are doing well. My daughter had the hardest time with iron sights, but she does well with the red dot. We always finish up range time with the red dot, so she can end on a high note and shooting can be about fun, not frustration.

that sounds like a pretty good approach, i will try that. my biggest fear is the frustration and losing interest.

Back
Top Bottom