• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

When you taught your kids to shoot....?

My kids started out with this game we got them for Christmas. Had a little plastic fence and you sat these plastic cans on it, a lazer hit the target on the fence and it plopped the cans off. That had " Plastic Sights"
Then we went to a BB gun (Rifle and 1911)in the back yard with gallon milk jugs , that was an iron sights
Then a pellet rifle with a cheap scope all the way across the back yard and card board boxes with targets drawn on em
then a bolt action 22 with iron sights, then a ruger 10/22 , then a .410 , then a .243, then my ar's and ak's , and all my handguns so I guess it was a progression. now they shoot better than me. and respect firearms and know how to handle them safely and take care of them.

It was a fun and rewarding ride :-)

All kids are different, but I started my son at 5 with a Red Ryder (no BBs). I first wanted to teach him safety and allow him time to build the strength to cock the rifle which he was able to do by age 6. By age 7 he had moved on to the Ruger 10/22 I traded for before he was born. We still have that rifle today. He is now 15 and shooting a Mosin and Sig 556 SWAT. By the way, he has been shooting Glocks since age 9.

Back
Top Bottom