• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where does everybody buy their gold/silver?

I'm glad the OP posted this.
With the bottom fixing to fall out on the dollar it's looking like precious metals are the way to go but as a complete novice I'm looking for guidance as well.
The debate over PMs is like the old 9mm vs .45acp, it depends a lot on personal preference and what you think will happen. Some argue junk silver (pre-1965 Quarters/Dimes) as they are easily recognized as currency but the vast majority of people have no idea that these coins contain silver and only see their face value i.e. 25 cents, 10 cents. It’s much easier to store 10 oz of gold (approximately $20k) than 833 oz of silver ($20k) however if you are going to use it for barter silver will be much easier to trade. Think of it like trying to use a $10 bill vs a $1000 bill.

Silver dollars have a high premium price over spot but are recognized and minted as US Silver Dollars. The silver content varies so you must know your coins. Many silver dollars have a numismatic value that far exceed their melt value. There again the face value on the coin does not reflect the true value same for gold coins i.e $5, $10. Silver bullion such as bars or rounds have the troy weight stamped into them (1 oz, 10 oz) as well as the mint name but many people will not recognize them as they have never seen one and will think they are fake.

Do a lot of research, buy from reputable companies or shops and never take a wooden silver dollar. 😄

Roger that. Great feedback on this. Thanks for the info y’all. My coworker swears by this website, what do y’all think since we are having a discussion? What are things to watch out for when buying? I’m late to the party but completely sketched out with having so much cash that might be worthless one day. Hopefully not but man it seems like more now then before.

It's my understanding that bars have more value than coins in the long haul?
Correct me if I'm wrong and keep in mind I'm a neophyte.

It's my understanding that bars have more value than coins in the long haul?
Correct me if I'm wrong and keep in mind I'm a neophyte.
With bars you simply get more silver for your money. If you buy 1oz of silver bar you pay like $27 while a Canadian Maple is like $32 or a American Eagle is like $36-38.

Country minted coins always drive a high premium but if you are buying for volume just stick to generic bars and rounds. Let’s be honest, silver is silver in the long run.

With bars you simply get more silver for your money. If you buy 1oz of silver bar you pay like $27 while a Canadian Maple is like $32 or a American Eagle is like $36-38.

Country minted coins always drive a high premium but if you are buying for volume just stick to generic bars and rounds. Let’s be honest, silver is silver in the long run.

Right or wrong, this is my philosophy.

Another vote for JM here. Keep a mix of bars and coins. Look for deals. Look for free shipping. As someone said do your research :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom