• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

which ar flip up sights?

treecutter08

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
looking for a set to go on a flattop rra with 11in troy alpha rail. probably wont be puting optics on this gun, maybe a eotech in the future. which sights should i go for? magpul and save some money or go with the troy sights?

I would go with magpul unless you're mounting the front sight on a gas block. I have heard that the heat from the gas block can melt polymer. If you're not mounting on the gas blocks, save the money and go with magpuls. If not get a Troy or other metal front sight with magpul rear. That's my $0.02.

Update: I have magpuls on a 13 inch yhm ff rail, and they seem to work well. The front sight is forward of where the carbine length gas tube and lo pro gas block sit inside the rail. Therefore, I don't think the front sight will get too hot to melt.

Last edited:
Go to a decent gun store and try a few different models out. Both work, the Troys I think are built to be tougher, though I have a magpul rear on my DM under my ACOG and find them to work fine. If they are only back up irons then the magpuls will likely serve you just fine. If you plan on using irons regularly spending a little more on the Troy models might be a good idea as well.

Troy sights are the best in my opinion! My best friend has beat the crap out of his in the Sand Box and they never lose zero! I have them on mine but I don't punish my rifle like he has to! JMHO

looking on ebay and some are sold in sets at 17-20 bucks. fake? i thought they ran about 60 apeice? whats the going rate for the magpul?

The front one runs a little less then $40 and the rear is around $55 online where I generally buy my stuff. I wouldn't buy from ebay, not with the amount of fakes running around. SKD or a site like that would be a better bet since you know you are getting the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom