• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which concealed carry piece in bear country?

LOL people talking about momma bear with cubs being dangerous obviously haven't spent any time around black bears. Here's how momma bear protects her cubs. She runs away but not too far. The cubs go up a tree. When the danger (me or you or whomever) leaves, she comes back and retrieves her babies. There has never been a recorded case of a human killed by a momma black bear protecting her cubs. Black bear attacks are almost exclusively cases of bears being fed by people (tourists usually) and then associating people with food...same goes for gators.

A black bear that does not run away (1 in a million) may have intent to eat you or may not...probably not but still, for the sake of argument, let's say it wants to eat you. Shoot it and wound but not kill it, you just sealed your fate. A wounded bear is every bit as ferocious as you probably thought a momma black bear with cubs would be x 10. A warning shot is your best first shot if you want things to end peacefully. I just yell HEY! and stomp at them...then laugh as they mow down the underbrush hauling ass.
Your right on this one, I am a lot more nervous walking the streets of Atlanta than any place in North GA. All the bears I have ran across will split when they notice a human. I still carry a gun for the reason of warning shots and the two leggeds. Kodiak island and a big brown bear is a different story all together.

.45 acp.

Contrary to popular belief bears are not all that hard to kill.

It is kinda scary walking through 8 foot scrub pine in thick bear country after dark but for the most part bears avoid humans.

I'd be more afraid of mountain lions....and they are out there.

.45 acp.

It is kinda scary walking through 8 foot scrub pine in thick bear country after dark but for the most part bears avoid humans.

I'm more afraid of fox, coyotes and raccoons...and anything else that might happen to be rabid at the time of encounter. Yeah we have mountain lions on occasion. I had one in my yard one night about 5 or 6 years ago and 2 in the yard sometime back in the mid to late 80s...plus I guess how many ever times they passed through unnoticed. But they are pretty rare here. And even when you do spot one, they roam hundreds of square miles so the chances of seeing it again are pretty slim.

.45 acp.

Yup, true story me and Billy Bob killed a pair of them bears with a tooth brush and some dental floss, best use we have got out of those two tools yet! :boink:

You can kill a polar bear with a can of peas and a hand saw. Just go out on the ice, cut a hole in it. Sprinkle the peas around it. When the bear comes to take a pea, run up behind and kick him in the ice hole.

So the question is what do you carry to protect yourself against those things.
i.imgur.com_02EMywo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom