• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which ESEE?

The 5 is really bad ass, but with a 1/4" thick blade, it is more E&E / crash site escape / zombie apocalypse than backpacking bushcrafter. I like it, but carry my IZULA-II alot more. The -II has an 1/2" longer handle then the original.....perfect for a man.

20140216_011820.jpg

20140215_175010.jpg

I just got a customized 4 and I love it! It is my new "go to" knife.
3 or 4, you can't go wrong, just depends on your preference.

The Laser Strike is nice, with a slimmer profile and a flint in the handle.
It has less belly in the blade, making it formidable for stabbing.

Be forewarned, once you buy an ESEE, you will buy more.....IJS!

If I had to have one for a camp/bush knife it would be the 4 or the Laser strike. I own both and they are very handy and useful in size and the ability to do real work around the camp.

For general purpose I find the Izzy II hard to beat for daily use and carry.

The E3 is a great knife as well.

I'm a bit of an Esee fanboy.

I will put my $0.02 in here. I have an izula as my back up to a Becker bk2 (which is similar to the 5) and after an extended walk with it attached to my hip and pack I would recommend the 5 for camp use , car knife, or as a substitute for an Axe.
My preference for hiking would be the 4. Still burly as the 5, but lighter and you can make finer cuts and have more control. It all come down to what feels good in your hand, and what you alwant to do with it.

WHOA THERE!!!
Is that a 2014 "been to the Farm" special???
Which class did you take?
I'm heading there to get me one in July.....gonna be hot.

You are spot on my friend. I took the Ditch Medicine class back in March. Holy smokes man it was awesome in a cruel way. The instructors are top notch and as long as you go in with a positive attitude, you will walk away with so much more than just the knife. My oldest daughter and I are going to the Parent/Child class in October, and I am also signed up for the Vehicle Survival class in December. If I can give one piece of advice, keep a positive attitude. With 3 hours sleep in 72 hours, that was the only thing that kept me on track.

You are spot on my friend. I took the Ditch Medicine class back in March. Holy smokes man it was awesome in a cruel way. The instructors are top notch and as long as you go in with a positive attitude, you will walk away with so much more than just the knife. My oldest daughter and I are going to the Parent/Child class in October, and I am also signed up for the Vehicle Survival class in December. If I can give one piece of advice, keep a positive attitude. With 3 hours sleep in 72 hours, that was the only thing that kept me on track.

That's awesome, you are a stud!!
I figured that course would be challenging but didn't realize you get an Associates degree in survival too.

Those classes fill up quickly, I had to take what I could get.
It's great you are doing it with your daughter! You will both remember that forever.

We may even meet up there sometime.

Back
Top Bottom