• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which of the tac. 22lr to get?

the CMMG upper is great and you can mount it to any standard AR-15 lower, it fells like the real deal AR unlike the 15-22. Also unlike the GSG guns the barrel is not a thin barrel slipped inside a larger barrel sleeve it is pretty much a 22lr AR barrel. Mine runs subsonics flawlessly in the 26 round CMMG mags. I hear the Black Dog Machine 50rd drum is very reliable. The only thing the 15-22 has the CMMG doesn't is that the bolt release switch works, the CMMG makes the standard bolt release on my lower non-functional.

15-22 here. Love it. I will always have it. 25 rounds of 22LR fun! mags are reasonably priced and accessories are endless.

I've had the GSG-5, M&P 15-22 and Sig 522. I liked the 15-22 a lot and I really like the Sig I have now. The GSG was ok, but I thought the trigger was terrible and it was the most finicky with ammo.

1. Buy a real AR-15 in 223/556
2. Buy a $125 cmmg conversion kit
3. Switch the bolt with the conversion kit
4. Now you have two calibers out of the same weapon
5. Ignore what the haters say about the slightly decreased accuracy
6. Profit

There's always the Ruger SR-22R. Built with metal components and 10/22 insides so you know it's reliable. Ony problem is while accessories (like additional rails) can be found through Ruger and Iron Eagle that's about it. Also it does lack the AR-15 look. Me personally have owned both and the S&W M&P15-22 is where it's at IMO. Guns and Ammo did a story a couple issues back comparing AR 22's. They loved the S&W 15-22. As for me it's the most fun I've had in along time.
If I could make a suggestion and if you have the extra cash I would go with the MOE version already has the Troy flip-up sites and quick disconnect sling points. It does save you some time as you probably are going to add something here and there anyway. But if your like me and your pocket only allows for a Standard 15-22 you will find that it's more than fine.
Just a heads up for which ever way you go (as far as the AR 22's are concerned) CCI makes a .22LR round specifically for the AR 22. It's a great round that feeds well but in the case of Ruger and Smith both will accept anything you put in it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom