• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Which powder scale?

I have used a lot of the old beam type scales over the years. I currently have a Dillon digital and have used it for several years. I really like it because you don't have to fumble with the dials like on the beam type scales. There are many scales to choose from and are less expensive than what they used to be.

I have an ohaus beam scale for back up and calibration/comparison purposes, and use an inexpensive digital scale from Amazon for day to day.

I used to use a Franklin Arsenal pocket scale, but the consistency and speed was terrible.
Homgeek I think was the brand. Very fast, can verify it against my beam scale, and use the weighing pan from the beam scale which is less prone to static.

If you have concern about the quality of the inexpensive digital scales, obviously check the reviews, but keep in mind that most of the name brand, like franklin arsenal, are also made overseas.

I have a few bids in on ebay, one on an ohaus and one on a redding. Both beam scales. I looked at alot of the scales in my price range and just about every one of them seems to have inconsistencies in the powder charge.

Getting into shotshell reloading and im looking for a good budget friendly scale thats reliable and accurate.
I have been reloading off and on for over half a century. I've used an old Lyman beam scale and once had an Ohaus. Both are just fine and very accurate but slow. Now I'm in to precision long range shooting and need very precise loads (not that I'm that great a shot) and recently bought the Truweigh Marksman Digital Reloading Scale

610i55JsAzL._SL1408_.jpg It's UK made and very accurate and sensitive with excellent warranty. It's not crazy expensive either. It's available at Amazon when they are back in stock.

I bought a sartorius ay123 scale a few years ago. It’s about a 350.00 scale ...been rebranded something else now I think. It’s good for weight sorting, but for a gradual trickle up, it’s pretty lousy. You need the magnetic force restoration technology and that isn’t cheap...about 1k if memory serves. I use an old Lyman/ohaus M5 that superior to the sartorius in tricking up a charge.

Back
Top Bottom