Whitehouse eyes closing "loophole' of gun trusts...

I wish we could submit our state carry permit each time instead of finger prints. Sounds good?

Surely they do background checks on everyone listed on the trust. Why else would it take so long to get approved.

So does everyone involved in one's trust have to submit to a background check when acquiring a NFA item now?

The official wording isn't published yet, so no one knows exactly, but from what I'd seen it would require any 'responsible person' in a trust to submit a fingerprint card, ID and photo to the ATF with each form, so that indicates a background check is being done. Just who qualifies as a 'responsible person' is up in the air for now though.

Good article about it here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ng-impact-obamas-proposed-changes-nfa-trusts/

On the flip side, this does get rid of CLEO approval (if implemented), which has always been a sore spot. Of course that could be bait-and-switch, get everyone off trusts then make the 'individual' rules impossible to live with.

The official wording isn't published yet, so no one knows exactly, but from what I'd seen it would require any 'responsible person' in a trust to submit a fingerprint card, ID and photo to the ATF with each form, so that indicates a background check is being done. Just who qualifies as a 'responsible person' is up in the air for now though.

Good article about it here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ng-impact-obamas-proposed-changes-nfa-trusts/

On the flip side, this does get rid of CLEO approval (if implemented), which has always been a sore spot. Of course that could be bait-and-switch, get everyone off trusts then make the 'individual' rules impossible to live with.

So if everyone on the Trust already have Georgia Firearm permit, meaning their fingerprint and background is already done... would that work?

Can't be that easy...

That's exactly why I got my trust set up, because it would be next to impossible to get a LEO sign off where I live.

So if everyone on the Trust already have Georgia Firearm permit, meaning their fingerprint and background is already done... would that work?

Can't be that easy...

You're right... it can't.

Heck, they make you start all over again each time you do a new Form 1 or 4.

In this case the problem is that one is state and the other is federal. They only cross those lines (like with the local CLEO requirement) if it makes it harder to get approval...

Last edited:
I'm certain the increased background checks won't impact the already excessive delays right?

I'm sure they will add lots of extra staff to handle it... (ROFL)

To be honest, every interaction I've had with the staff at the W. VA office has been amazingingly good. Those people must be the the most overworked bureaucrats in the US Government, yet I have never run into one that was cross or unhelpful.

Back
Top Bottom