Who remembers "The Toy", starring Richard Pryor?

If Mel Brooks was starting out today, he could make about zero of his classics. No one now would make a movie that slaps so many 'elephants' in one room at one time.

I don't know. South Park has been doing that for 16 seasons now and they're on TV.

The edgy comedies that people make now are more gross humor than anything else. I was raised by what would be considered "racist" parents today but every Richard Pryor movie was either seen at the theatre or rented. I don't remember the Toy being edgy then, but it dealt a lot with race and class, used the N word, and other things I don't see making it into a PG movie today.

Does anyone think a table full of black people playing poker with Alpo coupons would make it through the first edit today? I think it's a sign of race relations taking a step back. People are so afraid of being labeled racist they avert their eyes to anything that calls to question their bonafieds.

The edgy comedies that people make now are more gross humor than anything else. I was raised by what would be considered "racist" parents today but every Richard Pryor movie was either seen at the theatre or rented. I don't remember the Toy being edgy then, but it dealt a lot with race and class, used the N word, and other things I don't see making it into a PG movie today.

Does anyone think a table full of black people playing poker with Alpo coupons would make it through the first edit today? I think it's a sign of race relations taking a step back. People are so afraid of being labeled racist they avert their eyes to anything that calls to question their bonafieds.
"In Living Color" did some things in that regard that today would likewise never fly. "Progress"... :rolleyes:

I just don't really care.Every one wants to get so butthurt over some perceived wrong to folks, that it is just freaking sad, sad, sad.

I grew up near Baton Rouge and remember them filming it. My cousin was in the movie. She is an extra in the work out scene, she is on of the blondes bouncing around.

Back
Top Bottom