• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whoa. Been a minute since I did any "tech work" and it shows......

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
228   0
Reaction score
Finally got around to changing the battery in my Lenovo YOGA C930 (bought an aftermarket battery last year about this time) and while taking the screws out of the battery itself, dropped one inside the case. I reached for an extendable magnet (automotive type) to retrieve the screw and was about to use it on the laptop to pull that screw out of the case.

WTH was I thinking? It's been 30 years since I built desktops using OEM components and static or magnets were bad juju back then. Are modern laptops more forgiving in this regard?

Finally got around to changing the battery in my Lenovo YOGA C930 (bought an aftermarket battery last year about this time) and while taking the screws out of the battery itself, dropped one inside the case. I reached for an extendable magnet (automotive type) to retrieve the screw and was about to use it on the laptop to pull that screw out of the case.

WTH was I thinking? It's been 30 years since I built desktops using OEM components and static or magnets were bad juju back then. Are modern laptops more forgiving in this regard?
They still are not magnet friendly…!

So bizarre after a year of having the battery run down to 5% in about 30 minutes to be using it for an hour now without it being plugged in to the power adapter. It registered 45% when installed and it's only down to 30% after an hour with the screen set to its brightest setting.

I should have changed it out last December instead of being lazy.

Most laptops now have SSD (flash) rather than HD. Not sensitive to magnets.
But I'm not sure I'd necessarily trust that.

Being I have ZERO, NADA, NONE, ZIP understanding of computer technology

95AF2ACE-ADCF-4590-9194-0373E403C51F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom