• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

whoa is me and my poor s10

those 2.2's are notorious for headgasket failures

if the truck didnt overheat the head should be ok but
those heads are also bad about cracking and twisting

good thing is every 2.2 crapalier,sunturd head will work
but you may have to drill and tap an egr hole

a decent machine shop that isnt out to take you
on a vehicle that isnt worth a fortune will shave the
head for you for a nominal fee

if they want to rebuild/machine the whole head
search the local junkyards

Take it down an let these guys fix it for ya :)
492531.jpg

one gamble about doing a valve job with high mileage is the extra boost in compression can cause a ring or rings to break or collapse. Can cause compression problems and / or oil burning.

well, probably not that bad

a few years back i swapped the spark plugs and cables because there was a skip. in doing so discovered a bit of coOlant in the number 3 spark plug slot (hurray), cleaned it out, replaced new plugs, and bam, runs awesome

keeps running good till a week back, noticed the skip again. so i buy new spark plugs, replace all (and again notice coolant in the no. 3 slot) and it fires up and drives pretty good. i park it, it sits, two days later the skip is back and then engine shuts off.

so, im thinking one of two things now

1) head gasket
2) cracked manifold

i dont see any major leaks or gouges, so im banking its the head gasket (at least i hope, that would be easier)

so im asking odt community, on a 97 chevy s10 4 cylinder, what do yall think it could be?

and is doing a head gasket job yourself worth it, or should i fork over some bills to let someone else do it?
dude thats like asking how the weather is going to be..more than likely its a head gasket..compression test and coolant pressure/dye test need to be envoked..you are going to have to get a pro involved for the right diagnosis..or you will spend money unnecessarily

Back
Top Bottom