• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why bow hunting during gun season may not be a great idea...

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
So far this year, I haven't shot a deer with my bow yet. I have bow hunted for a few years now and have always killed deer with my bow and let quite a few keep walking. For some reason, this year I can't even get a shot off on the ones I want to shoot.

So I went out with my bow Saturday night and sat in a homemade ground blind. I saw a doe walk by at about 40 yds but she was in some light brush that I didn't want to try to thread an arrow through. I got the bright idea that I could intercept her when she came out of the woods, left my blind and slowly crept to the edge of the woods. I took a step out and saw a doe feeding along the woodline away from me that looked smaller than the one I had just seen and was slightly farther than I wanted to try a shot with my bow. I took one more step past a bush and that's when the second doe spotted me, blew at me and all 3 does that were there took off. They eventually stopped about 125-150 yds away and stared at me for a couple minutes before running back into the woods.

Sunday morning, I decided to hunt a stand I haven't hunted since opening weekend of bow season. And having not learned my lesson the night before, I took my bow again instead of a gun. Around 8:10am, I heard a soft grunt and looked left to see a pretty good size buck walking directly towards my stand. I clipped my release to my bow and waited for an opportunity to draw without being seen. The buck kept walking til he was within 5 yds of my stand and looked directly up at me a couple of times. Finally, he turned and started to walk away and I decided that was the time to draw. About halfway through drawing the bow, the buck turned his head slightly back toward me, saw the movement(I'm assuming), and immediately took off. My difficulty in controlling my breathing during the whole encounter probably didn't help much. Here's a trail cam pic of the buck.

i58.tinypic.com_zjz50k.jpg

Sunday evening, I decided to sit on the edge of a cotton field where I had seen a lot of activity. My setup was not ideal since I didn't plan to hunt there before the season and had not spent any time making a blind or setting up a stand. I simply picked a low hanging oak limb on the edge of the field and sat on a stool under it. Around 6pm, I noticed something sticking up over the cotton that looked out of place. After watching for a minute, I realized it was two sets of antlers in the field about 65-70 yds away. I had my rifle with me, so the distance wasn't an issue. I waited for the biggest of the two bucks to walk out of the field and dropped him on the spot. While I was waiting for my brother-in-law to get there with a truck, I heard several more deer come through the woods, including a slightly larger buck that stopped and stared at me and a doe that kept stomping and blowing, but they never entered the field.

Here's the buck I shot. Considerably smaller than the one I saw that morning. Up until this point, I was unaware that deer ate cotton plants.

i61.tinypic.com_11rxac4.jpg

Last edited:
I take 40 yard shots most years with my bow and then have them walk right to me when gun season opens but I cant bring myself to hunt with the bow when I can have a gun with me.

I took my bow on all but 2 or 3 hunts last year. Gun hunting just doesn't excite me that much anymore unless I'm using a handgun. Using a rifle is just too easy. I can still carry my bow with a handgun though, which usually means I'm still bow hunting.

Nice meaty buck for the freezer.

I'd rather hunt archery for the thrill of it but if I'm in a spot where I can use a rifle I'll use it because I've hunted archery all season long before in gun areas and missed out on quite a few good deer including a buck of a lifetime.

It was about 65 yards from me which was not in my comfort range with my crossbow but it was an incredible sight to see.
I was on a ridge in Helen Ga and I did a random doe bleat call and within 30 seconds I saw a monster, stark white rack appearing below me coming up the ridge.
It was a very windy day and when the wind stopped blowing, the buck would either lay down or keep his vitals covered by trees.
The wind would start and he would move again.
This went on for about 10 minutes until he walked away from me so I let out another bleat, he turned left and left again then started walking directly towards me until he was about 40 yards away facing me.
He stopped and vanished.
I figured he laid down so I sat there motionless for a couple hours just hoping to catch him sneeking out but he gave me the slip.
He had tines roughly 2" thick and was an obvious 10 point.

If my dumb ass would have brought a rifle I would have had a killer wall hanger.

I took my bow on all but 2 or 3 hunts last year. Gun hunting just doesn't excite me that much anymore unless I'm using a handgun. Using a rifle is just too easy. I can still carry my bow with a handgun though, which usually means I'm still bow hunting.

Finally identified someone I know from my personal life on here without them knowing who I am. Mr Compliancepoint himself.

Can't you just take both?

I really want to take one with a bow this year but I'm also bringing my rifle just in case a bruiser shows up outside of my bow range.

Ok, but with that logic, what do you do when the big one shows up in bow range? Risk a shot with the bow or take the sure shot with the gun? The big buck I wanted was no more than 5 yards from me and I couldnt get my bow drawn. I settled for the small one at 65-70 yds with a rifle later the same day.

Finally identified someone I know from my personal life on here without them knowing who I am. Mr Compliancepoint himself.

If you are referring to me, I think you may be mistaken. I don't personally know anyone from NE Georgia, much less someone that would mention anything about compliance.

For me, I'll take a bow out and drop deer left and right. I take a gun out and I cant see a deer to save my life. Happens like this every year. I get 5-8 deer a year and it always ends up being with a bow, 4 so far this year. When I get a gun the deer just vacate the woods. I kill 20 bow deer to 1 gun deer. Maybe I just got an unlucky rifle I'm not real sure but that is the reason I bow hunt during gun season.

I see plenty of deer regardless of which weapon I take. I guess I'm just lucky that way. I see 4-5 times as many deer as my two hunting partners on the same property, even when I give them first pick of stands. I had to start taking pics of deer I didnt want to shoot cause they thought I was bs'ing them about seeing so many when they were seeing nothing.

Back
Top Bottom