• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why do folks put scopes on their deer hunting rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often wondered what the significance to having a scope on a rifle that you intend on shooting a large animal in the side with it anyway.
Wouldn't it be easier to skip the scope cost and the sighting, and just shoot the deer in it's side using iron sights?

Can you shoot a deer at three hundrend yards with out a scope???

My vision isn't the best in the world and use to mainly to verify the deer and make sure theres nothing behind it. You never know when some random dude on a wma is going to be walking thru the woods and not see the deer your about to shoot Poping a the wrong sized buck on a quality hunt is a big no no

X2

My vision is not what it was when I first started to hunt

Scopes all the way, the naked eye cannot insure proper placement for a quick and humane kill at distances over 100 yards.

Sometime I get completely naked, soak my self in scent away and cover up in leaves and sticks, I then skidaddle up a tree with my trusty mini swiss army knife and wait for them to come by, when I see a deer I pull out the butt out tool and slam it in the deers back side REAL hard, with a rope attaching it to a tree. When they haul ass and the rope tightens the BUTT OUT tool blows their ass hole out and they fall down form pain, then I leap on them and cut their throat with my swiss army knife, then I field dress them, and leave everything but the heart hanging, and I eat the heart to keep the strength of a warrior.

I do all of this with a mini swiss army knife, maybe a 2" blade.

I can't stop laughing!

From my experience most hunters that trophy hunt, shoot the deer in the side and those of use that like to fill the freezer with meat, shoot the deer in the neck or head (to keep from damaging the meat) and want to make a more precise and accurate shot.

because after I've dumped a 30 round mag into moving bushes, the scope allows me to see if anything crawls out. It's also handy for keeping an eye on the neighbors.

I often wondered what the significance to having a scope on a rifle that you intend on shooting a large animal in the side with it anyway.
Wouldn't it be easier to skip the scope cost and the sighting, and just shoot the deer in it's side using iron sights?

Most bolt rifles don't come with iron sights. None of my bolts have sights, when you get old one can't see good enough to use iron sights at a distance anymore. I will stick with my scopes and be able to shoot several hundred yards and you use your iron sights as far as you can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom