• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why do folks put scopes on their deer hunting rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your eyes. My father is 76. And when he went hunting There were guys at the camp that had $1200 scopes on their $1000 rifles. He has a $75 30-30 with. I scope " scopes just get in my way ". Always hits what he is aiming at. But he has perfect vision.

I`ve used scopes for 45 years,irons for years before the scopes.Main reason, to see antlers in the brush.I`ve shot more deer at 50 yds or less,by far.Scope ain`t a hindrance.BTW,you don`t shoot a deer in the side.You shoot for the kill zone.If I have to explain any further,you ain`t a deer hunter,anyhow,and don`t ned to know.

Wait until your eyes get about 60 years old and see how well they focus over iron sights. You'll be eating far less venison!!!

My eyes were never good enough to shoot a deer at 400 yards with iron sights! I've done it several times with a scope!

'Nuff Said!!

No scopes on Mine. Target verification through binoculars.
Also, I've often wondered why people need to take more than 3 (ok I'll give you 5) rounds into the woods.

My dad only carries 3 nowadays because one evening he shot 5 deer and he didn't like how long that took. I use a single shot so the most that I've gotten in one hunt was two young deer.

The last deer I shot was a Nebraska Mulie that was 515 yards away ..... my eyes aren't quite that good :D

I often wondered what the significance to having a scope on a rifle that you intend on shooting a large animal in the side with it anyway.
Wouldn't it be easier to skip the scope cost and the sighting, and just shoot the deer in it's side using iron sights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom