• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why do folks put scopes on their deer hunting rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake dr

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
Banned Permanently
20   0
Reaction score
I often wondered what the significance to having a scope on a rifle that you intend on shooting a large animal in the side with it anyway.
Wouldn't it be easier to skip the scope cost and the sighting, and just shoot the deer in it's side using iron sights?

target verification, some people have bad eyes, my dad did the same thing when i was a kid. but nwo we ripped all the scopes off, faster with the irons.

I have often wondered this myself as I do not deer hunt. Everyone I have talked to that does, also says that they want a shot at 50 yards or closer. Seems like it'd be easier with irons....

Well I have an over/under scope mount so that I can use both. One for long distance and one for closer distance. I also use my hunting rifle (Marlin 336 30-30) for game other than deer, so it comes in handy as well.

If you know me, you know right away that I am almost "anti-optic". But.....I will scope a meal gun because I believe in a steady, humane, well placed shot.

I use a scope to make sure that the second buck I shoot has at least 4 points on one side b/c my "anysize" buck that I shot looked like a doe through irons. oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom