• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why don't people like the 40 cal?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
Why does it seem there are several people not interested in .40 cal anything? I have never owned a handgun in .40 but have considered it.

What is it about 40 cal that people don't like?

the 40 s&w was a answer to a problem the government had with equipping less trained or agents incapable of shooting/properly griping the 10mm or 45 acp pistols. the 40 caliber was popular when most police departments used it but the police ore switching to 9mm or 45acp now thus it's goign out of popularity.

40 s&w in the proper gun is great, the sig 229 was designed with a heavier slide for the 40&w and it is a great combo but putting 40 s&w in a originally 9mm firearm doesn't quite work as well

Snappy recoil and lower capacity than 9mm, higher cost ammo. No real upside to .40 it is a compromise. I owned 1 and sold it , never missed it.
I'VE HEARD THIS BULL SH-- ABOUT 40'S HAVING SNAPPY RECOIL THEN THEY TRADE IT FOR A 357 SIG OR A 10MM AND BRAG ABOUT THE SPEED AN KNOCK DOWN POWER. IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE RECOIL OF A 40 CAL BUY AN AIR SOFT PISTOL AN QUIT WHINNING. JUST SAYING

popcorn helmet.gif

Over abundance of police trade ins prevents 40 caliber handguns from retaining value as well as other calibers.

Many will deny it, but in truth this is what killed the love for the 40. Nobody wants to buy a gun they will get hosed on when it comes time to part with it.

That said, my EDC is a Glock 23.

I have a couple of .40's because they were cheap and it's not a bad round to shoot.
I remember only seeing .40 on the shelf during the panic but that was before I had anything that shot the round.

Anyone have a Gen4 Glock 23 for sale? $300 and I'll take it!

Back
Top Bottom