Why is the NRA against this proposed law?

Triathloncoach

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
201   0
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/16/nra-pushes-back-against-proposed-illinois-gun-law/?intcmp=latestnews

I would think they would be saying this is exactly what they want? Tougher penalties for gun crimes. I'm a NRA Member, but I don't agree with them all the time. Maybe I'm misunderstanding their position?

I don't understand their position really either, but I'd ditch the anti-gun terms like "gun crime". It's crime. "gun crime" is just a way to get people to associate guns with crime.

The devil is in the details. I trust the NRA to look beyond the news summary of proposed legislation and evaluate the bill on its merits. Remember that Illinois was the last State to allowed concealed carry. Had they not been forced to change the law they would still not permit anyone to carry a handgun. There are enough laws already on the books to deal with criminals. Passing another law will not make much of a difference.

I don't understand their position really either, but I'd ditch the anti-gun terms like "gun crime". It's crime. "gun crime" is just a way to get people to associate guns with crime.

Hmmm. I see your point. I always roll my eyes when I hear "hate crime" - a crime is a crime. How about a crime committed with a gun? Cuz if you involve a weapon like a gun in a crime the penalty should be more severe - unlike how it's somehow worse to commit a crime against a green person than a blue person. Ya feeling me?

The devil is in the details. I trust the NRA to look beyond the news summary of proposed legislation and evaluate the bill on its merits. Remember that Illinois was the last State to allowed concealed carry. Had they not been forced to change the law they would still not permit anyone to carry a handgun. There are enough laws already on the books to deal with criminals. Passing another law will not make much of a difference.

This in spades!

McDonald SCOTUS decision declared (narrow margin 5/4) that basically the second amendment actually applies outside the home. If those liberal bastids follow the path of the same liberal bastids in D.C (post Heller) then they will create more onerous gun laws under the veil of "public safety" in political backlash to the decision in favor of the people's rights.

I have not reviewed the link but bet your ass the NRA has scrutinized this law and what its stated intent is and its application is often two distinctly separate entities. The NRA has a proven track record in attempting to retain what little gun rights we still have intact.

Ok I read it.

Meanwhile, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Tuesday vowed to lobby lawmakers on the measure Emanuel, Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy and Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez said the measure targets repeat offenders and those who own guns illegally.

The NRA:

The NRA's Institute for Legislative Action wrote in a website post that the bill will jeopardize concealed carry in Illinois by imposing tough penalties for individuals who carry a firearm without a concealed-carry permit or firearm owner's identification card.

"This specific provision incorrectly targets otherwise law-abiding citizens, rather than deterring violent criminals with harsher penalties," the group said in an Oct. 10 statement.

So a "crime/gun bill" sponsored by a democrat and supported by an overwhelming "anti-gun, anti-bill of rights" Mayor and his appointed lap dogs are all for this in the name of almighty public safety.

Right, I don't see any issues there.

You know in D.C. now if you get caught with an empty/fired shell you will be arrested as a common criminal. Yep were catching criminals or rather we are creating them!

Up to 3 years prison for not having a government approved license to carry on you. Really?

Last edited:
Hmmm. I see your point. I always roll my eyes when I hear "hate crime" - a crime is a crime. How about a crime committed with a gun? Cuz if you involve a weapon like a gun in a crime the penalty should be more severe - unlike how it's somehow worse to commit a crime against a green person than a blue person. Ya feeling me?

Sounds reasonable. I just don't like to see "gun" used as an adjective to describe crime. Same with gun violence...simply a way to further anthropomorphize firearms and demonize them.

Up to 3 years prison for not having a government approved license to carry on you. Really?

Actually this sounds good to me. As long as it walks in step with a reasonable process to obtain a carry license. In Georgia it's fairly easy to get a carry permit. If you want to carry a gun, get a permit. Give LE an easy path to lock up criminals. I'm from NJ, nobody gets a carry permit - which is BS. Carry a gun,get caught,and it's off to jail. I like that law, I hate that law abiding citizens can not arm themselves. But when the criminals do get caught with a gun committing a crime it's a nice automatic bump up on their sentence.

Actually this sounds good to me. As long as it walks in step with a reasonable process to obtain a carry license. In Georgia it's fairly easy to get a carry permit. If you want to carry a gun, get a permit. Give LE an easy path to lock up criminals. I'm from NJ, nobody gets a carry permit - which is BS. Carry a gun,get caught,and it's off to jail. I like that law, I hate that law abiding citizens can not arm themselves. But when the criminals do get caught with a gun committing a crime it's a nice automatic bump up on their sentence.

If it were only so simple, you forget who we are discussing and where. Imagine you grabbed your EDC but inadvertently left your CWP license at home and were caught without it. In a normal free state you would be required to produce it-in court? (even though they know already) in a communist state it can land you jail with forfeiture of rights for your "criminal" act.

It's these small incremental increases that impact predominately the honest that criminalize what was once honest and accepted behavior. Crime should be punished but creating laws to criminalize bears the utmost scrutiny.

False claims of public safety that fail to perform as "publically" intended that far too often are used to suppress and demonize should never be tolerated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom