• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why is the NRA against this proposed law?

If it were only so simple, you forget who we are discussing and where. Imagine you grabbed your EDC but inadvertently left your CWP license at home and were caught without it. In a normal free state you would be required to produce it-in court? (even though they know already) in a communist state it can land you jail with forfeiture of rights for your "criminal" act.

It's these small incremental increases that impact predominately the honest that criminalize what was once honest and accepted behavior. Crime should be punished but creating laws to criminalize bears the utmost scrutiny.

False claims of public safety that fail to perform as "publically" intended that far too often are used to suppress and demonize should never be tolerated.

Criminals do not abide by laws, so laws relating to guns only encumber LAW ABIDING CITIZENS...

^^^^^ The Truth

Carrying without a license is a VICTIMLESS crime. Why would you support 3 years in jail? I think you should focus your attention somewhere else. Maybe illegal aliens? Identity theft? Drug dealers (not users)? Drunk drivers killing people get less than 3 years.

Carrying without a license is a VICTIMLESS crime. Why would you support 3 years in jail? I think you should focus your attention somewhere else. Maybe illegal aliens? Identity theft? Drug dealers (not users)? Drunk drivers killing people get less than 3 years.

Plus-depending on the wording, a stolen wallet, a card that falls out, or some small administrative error like an incorrect address or slightly misspelled name would result in the same automatic sentence. These type of errors should not result in years in prison-if no other crime was committed.

(Devil is in the details-and you can bet the NRA has sharp lawyers who are not comfortable with these details-for good reason.)

Carrying without a license is a VICTIMLESS crime. Why would you support 3 years in jail?

Exactly, it is beyond my comprehension that any state could charge as first offense, a felony to an otherwise law abiding, non-disqualified citizen, NOT committing a crime, being in possession of a firearm. It's an administrative "crime" IMO and should be treated as such.

I don't understand their position really either, but I'd ditch the anti-gun terms like "gun crime". It's crime. "gun crime" is just a way to get people to associate guns with crime.

Yes very well said! I do not agree with the NRA's position either on this matter. I believe there should be stronger punishments against ILLEGAL actions

Yes very well said! I do not agree with the NRA's position either on this matter. I believe there should be stronger punishments against ILLEGAL actions

I Trust the NRA way the Hell More than I do any Politician from Illinois

There 3 or 4 ways to spell my middle name. If GA had this proposed IL law, and the name on my GWL were to be spelled differently from GA DL, I'd be going to jail for three years. Is that the law you approve of?

I Trust the NRA way the Hell More than I do any Politician from Illinois

My stance wasn't about putting trust in one or another, but looking at the stance of the NRA and their reasoning. This isn't a football game with two opposing sides. Sorry for any misspellings, I'm drunk.

There 3 or 4 ways to spell my middle name. If GA had this proposed IL law, and the name on my GWL were to be spelled differently from GA DL, I'd be going to jail for three years. Is that the law you approve of?

It is very possible that the NRA is pissed about language that would make this happen.

Some laws really are like that.

What if you have more than one wallet? What if you take the wrong one by mistake-and you are carrying? Is that a "criminal act" worthy of a mandatory prison sentence?

I really think the NRA could be more clear with their statements on this one-but I absolutely guarantee they are upset for good reason.

Back
Top Bottom