• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why not a Glock in 5.7?

You'll never see an OEM Glock in a caliber not fielded by a major LE or military force. Civilian sales aren't the bread and butter of their business.
I would agree with you but for the existence of the Glock 42. Yes I realize that 380 is a caliber fielded by yada yada, but the 42 certainly was designed for civilians. Designing a gun as small as the 42 was a lot more than a copy+paste of a 380 Glock for LE/mil use. If they're willing to spend the design time for something novel (for Glock) for civilians like the 42, I don't understand what caliber has to do with it.

I would agree with you but for the existence of the Glock 42. Yes I realize that 380 is a caliber fielded by yada yada, but the 42 certainly was designed for civilians. Designing a gun as small as the 42 was a lot more than a copy+paste of a 380 Glock for LE/mil use. If they're willing to spend the design time for something novel (for Glock) for civilians like the 42, I don't understand what caliber has to do with it.
Fair enough...but Glock's been around, what, 30ish years? And have, what, 26 iterations of their pistol? And in all that time only one caliber has been fielded outside of the LE/mil community?

Maybe a 5.7 will show up in the next three decades...but what is the honest likelihood given Glock's nonexistent penchant for innovation?

Fair enough...but Glock's been around, what, 30ish years? And have, what, 26 iterations of their pistol? And in all that time only one caliber has been fielded outside of the LE/mil community?

Maybe a 5.7 will show up in the next three decades...but what is the honest likelihood given Glock's nonexistent penchant for innovation?
I agree that it's extremely unlikely. I was just trying to say that Glock does somewhat care about the civilian market (42 and 43, although I suspect the 43 will see some limited application in LE for deep cover).

I don't think the market demand is there anyway for 5.7. It's a boutique round that, without the armor-piercing bullets it was designed for, is a glorified 9mm. Flame suit on...

I like the idea. But as for the 42/43, I believe it was still aimed widely at LEO use. Heck, GSP alone issued a 42 to every trooper for backup as soon as they were released. Then this year traded every dang one of those right back in for 43s. They are nearly perfect for a backup weapon.

I like the idea. But as for the 42/43, I believe it was still aimed widely at LEO use. Heck, GSP alone issued a 42 to every trooper for backup as soon as they were released. Then this year traded every dang one of those right back in for 43s. They are nearly perfect for a backup weapon.
This. Glock never would've bothered with the 42 if they didn't have a couple hundred thousand of em already sold to law enforcement.

Hell, they won't even make a proper (ACP) .45 compact model, you think they would even consider an oddball caliber? Nah. Glock gives two ****s about the civilian market. Ok, maybe half a ****.

You'll never see an OEM Glock in a caliber not fielded by a major LE or military force. Civilian sales aren't the bread and butter of their business.
Okay I can dig that. And since Glock has the LE Market locked down so well then why oh WHY not offer a rifle or pistol caliber carbine. Wait... Maybe they're afraid of polymer lowers.:becky:

10qurl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom