• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why the age of 21 for handguns??/

DaveTheMinion

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
94   1
Reaction score
Just curious here. I've noticed the big trend around the ODT is "Must be able to Legally own a Handgun and 21 years of age or older", and while I am 22, I must ask why we have settled on the age of 21. State and Federal law specifically states that for an individual to purchase a handgun from an FFL the buyer must pass a 4473 and be 21 years of age or older. It also states that for an Individual to purchase a handgun from a private individual, or posess a handgun the legal age is 18. While I do not condone giving handguns to the young and dumb, there are just as many dumb 21 year olds as 18 year olds, and many 18 year olds are quite mature. So Just curious, why does everyone require that the buyer be 21??

Another thing, and I know this is gonna create some fuss, but whats the deal with trading state to state? If I buy a handgun in mississippi with a mississippi license, then move to ga, transfer my license, the gun itself is still registered in mississippi even when I trade off to a ga resident. Ga is a non register state, so why the requirement of a ga id?

I never knew you could sell to an 18 year old. and you are right age does not mean mature , but I tell you some people should not be able to buy a gun at 25 the way they act.

Yes I believe the law is the same in Georgia as it is in Mississippi. I bought my first handgun from a private individual b.o.s. at 19, and carried in my car everywhere. Even when I'd get stopped by police I was always upfront with them *never had anything to hide* and told them that I did have a loaded firearm in my car and where it was. Never once did I have a negative encounter except for when two cops though I was avoiding a roadblock when I turned around and headed back to autozone lol. But needless to say every leo told me I was good, none tried to run numbers or see proof of ownership. Had one cop that actually wanted to handle my LCP after I told him it was in the ashtray compartment of my Taurus. Said it must be a pretty small gun to fit in there and he was curious what it was. Told him it was an LCP and he wanted to see it out of curiosity, actually liked it b/c he had a keltec just like it lol.

I have bought and traded for a good many Handguns before turning 21, I ALWAYS made sure to disclose it to the people, Most were fine with but I had a few that weren't. Some even trying to go way out their way to say it was illegal, which it's not....Would I now ever sell or trade to someone under 21, it all depends on the person. I personally know some guys around my age that DO NOT NEED a pistol, legal or not. But I also know some younger than me, that I would have NO problems what so ever trusting....It would be dealt with on an individual basis, I don't care if your 50 if you don't seem "all there" Im not selling or trading ANY gun with you period.

I would much rather deal with Senior Citizens with short term memory loss..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ah.....what were we talking about??

I don't think I could sell to anybody under 21. Not because I think it's illegal, and not because I think it is taboo. But in my mind, and 18 year old is a kid. Unless I REALLY knew that kid well, I would not sleep well at night wondering what that kid could be out there doing with it. At 18, there is no reason a parent/guardian or close friend could not sell them a gun. I have no problem with a 18 year old owning a handgun, I would just prefer they get it from somebody who knows them a bit better than me.

Back
Top Bottom