• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why the age of 21 for handguns??/

I remember when I was 18, in the Army and they wouldn't sell me beer. Realy pissed me off. If the law recognizes you as man enough to serve the country then you should have all the rights you are fighting to protect.

If you are legal to buy then I will sell to you. Well, unless you set off alarms with me when we talk or meet, then no deal no matter how old you are.

My personal opinion is that the age of majority - when one becomes an adult, must be defined. A young man can die overseas for his country, serve in law enforcement, pay taxes, raise a family, and yes, own a rifle or pistol, but this same citizen cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL or have a drink if he so chooses. Too young to purchase a handgun from an FFL, but old enough to serve a prison term for it if caught seems pretty backwards to me. When is a man/woman an adult? 16? 18? 21? 30? We desperately need clarity on this matter, and why a private seller would refuse to sell to anyone under 21 is their personal decision and they're entitled to it. That said, the notion that an adult of legal age to own a handgun (18+) is too irresponsible to sell your handgun to seems like a gross, discriminatory passing of judgment to me. The same mindset is responsible for most gun control measures in this country, and I'd be concerned if my own ambitions were steered in that direction.

Back
Top Bottom