why trade only-No Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've wondered about this too, in a theoretical way.

I'm convinced that it is a sign of personality type. The type considers themselves to be "master traders" and they are convinced that they will always make a trade in their favor, while cash is pretty much limited to easily determined FMV. I'm not saying this pejoratively because some of my earliest memories were of my father's colleagues swapping knives, which usually ended in long discussions of who got the best of who.

Witness the many offers here for "trades heavily in my favor." Whassup with that? I have to wonder do those trades ever come off?

There was a show on TV a couple of years ago where the stars started out with a piece of crap, and by the end of the show were supposed to have traded up to a new Corvette or some such. I think that's the driving force for some people.

I've wondered about this too, in a theoretical way.

I'm convinced that it is a sign of personality type. The type considers themselves to be "master traders" and they are convinced that they will always make a trade in their favor, while cash is pretty much limited to easily determined FMV. I'm not saying this pejoratively because some of my earliest memories were of my father's colleagues swapping knives, which usually ended in long discussions of who got the best of who.

Witness the many offers here for "trades heavily in my favor." Whassup with that? I have to wonder do those trades ever come off?

There was a show on TV a couple of years ago where the stars started out with a piece of crap, and by the end of the show were supposed to have traded up to a new Corvette or some such. I think that's the driving force for some people.

Honestly I don't even think it has anything to do with that. 9 times out of 10 if you have an item listed for a fair used value for sale or trade someone will offer something worth less and insist it's worth the same amount as your sale price. For sale is straight-forward enough, but for sale and trade goofs things up because the other guy is always going to value his stuff higher if you set the value in a sale price. If you're only trading, you can start from new retail, used value, whatever on the items being traded. It helps set a level field in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom