why trade only-No Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't figure out why so many ads here at ODT are "trade only" ads.
They don't want to sell their stuff to a willing buyer with CASH in hand-- they only want to offer their stuff to a much smaller number (I assume) of people who happen to own, and are willing to part with, the specified things that the poster is seeking in trade.

Why would anybody refuse cash, with which they can BUY the kinds of things they're seeking from some other seller, either on this site or from some other site or vendor?

The only thing I can think of is that frequent gun sales, for cash, would be more likely to be seen as "engaged in the business" of dealing in firearms without an FFL. But I don't know that this is a complete defense to such a charge, should ATF decide to prosecute you anyway over your many gun deals that result in the net value of your gun collection increasing over time (which makes you wealthier, even if this asset is not liquid, not cash).

I even see "trade only" ads for archery equipment, muzzle-loaders, other hunting gear and supplies, the sort of stuff which could not possibly trigger an ATF investigation for dealing in firearms without an FFL.

Per ATF, if your motivation in a particular transaction is to "enhance your personal collection" that does not require an FFL.
So that's one good reason to say "trade only" if you have a pretty high volume of gun B/S/T activity.

But non-FFL hobbyists can still "occasionally" sell guns from their personal collections, for cash, for a profit.
We can also liquidate our own collections in a series of sales, just to turn the asset from guns to cash.
Those aren't FFL-required activities either.
https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

There is even an example given by the ATF that states it's fine to "profit" so long as that is used to enhance your collection. That could mean trading for a higher valued gun or profiting on the sale of one gun to buy something "better". I think you're reading way too much into this OP.

Reactions: JWC
For the life of me, I can't figure out why so many ads here at ODT are "trade only" ads.
They don't want to sell their stuff to a willing buyer with CASH in hand-- they only want to offer their stuff to a much smaller number (I assume) of people who happen to own, and are willing to part with, the specified things that the poster is seeking in trade.

Why would anybody refuse cash, with which they can BUY the kinds of things they're seeking from some other seller, either on this site or from some other site or vendor?

The only thing I can think of is that frequent gun sales, for cash, would be more likely to be seen as "engaged in the business" of dealing in firearms without an FFL. But I don't know that this is a complete defense to such a charge, should ATF decide to prosecute you anyway over your many gun deals that result in the net value of your gun collection increasing over time (which makes you wealthier, even if this asset is not liquid, not cash).

I even see "trade only" ads for archery equipment, muzzle-loaders, other hunting gear and supplies, the sort of stuff which could not possibly trigger an ATF investigation for dealing in firearms without an FFL.

I feel exactly the same way... If it is "Trade Only" I will skip it.
What I have, I got because I wanted them... I do not want to trade them away...

Folks like to try new stuff out without having to pay tax/paperwork, an extra trip to a gun shop. If it's something you really want, just keep offering more until they bite. I did that on here with a CZ Phantom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom