• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife wants a boat

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
We have kayaks and enjoy being on the water. The other day my wife just randomly says "we should get a boat". I assumed she meant a ski boat or a pontoon. My wife grew up having a house at the river. The only boat I've ever owned was a 10-12 Jonboat and when I had it good I got to use a trolling motor in a small pond. This is my background.
We have 4 of us and want to be able to mostly fish rivers. We may take it out on lake blackshear or similar but most will be on the river. What do we need? Would like to spend less than $5000.

Disclaimer : I know the two best days in the ownership of a boat are the day you buy and the day you sell it. I also know it means bring on another thousand. That's out of the way.

We have kayaks and enjoy being on the water. The other day my wife just randomly says "we should get a boat". I assumed she meant a ski boat or a pontoon. My wife grew up having a house at the river. The only boat I've ever owned was a 10-12 Jonboat and when I had it good I got to use a trolling motor in a small pond. This is my background.
We have 4 of us and want to be able to mostly fish rivers. We may take it out on lake blackshear or similar but most will be on the river. What do we need? Would like to spend less than $5000.

Disclaimer : I know the two best days in the ownership of a boat are the day you buy and the day you sell it. I also know it means bring on another thousand. That's out of the way.
Just a thought how about renting one? In the long run it will be cheaper and economical..

For that kind of money and since there are four of you, I'd get a pontoon. It's more versatile than a bass/fishing boat. I've spent many a night on the lake. Very relaxing.
Just a thought how about renting one? In the long run it will be cheaper and economical..
How so? If he want's to go out most every weekend, renting one would cost a fortune. It's $500 a day for a pontoon at Blue Ridge.

I’d definitely get a pontoon. There was a marina at the 280 bridge, at the CrispSumter Co line. The might still rent them. Lake Blackshear was a great lake just to cruise on years back and good fishing.

I’d definitely get a pontoon. There was a marina at the 280 bridge, at the CrispSumter Co line. The might still rent them. Lake Blackshear was a great lake just to cruise on years back and good fishing.
Well one reason to rent would be you could try different styles lynx and set up with different boats to see which one works well for what you want to do before you make a big investment just to find out it doesn't work for what you had planned

BOUGHT MY WIFE A 18 FOOT PONTOON 5 YEARS AGO WITH A 40 HORSE ENGINE, HAS TWO LIVE WELLS AND TWO FRONT AND TWO REAR FISHING SEATS PLUS A MIDDLE SEAT THAT WILL SEAT 3 ! GREAT FOR JUST CRUISING THE LAKE IN SUMMER AND FISHING IN SPRING AND FALL ! ITS A 2001 AND WE GAVE $5000 FOR IT AND TRAILER IN FALL OF 2014 ! SHE HAS HAD A LOT MORE ENJOYMENT THAN MONEY SPENT IN FIRST YEAR YEAR OF USE !

Had this exact conversation yesterday cruising with the family yesterday around Lake Lanier (driving). My response was- I will gladly fork over $300-$400 per day, to rent them a boat any day/any time.

I know full well that the max they will EVER make the effort to use a boat will be @ 3x (3 days) per year. At $1200 per year, max, to quasi own a boat, I would say I am well out ahead with zero headaches.

I had not really given a pontoon much thought. I was thinking a fishing boat.

I could rent one on lake blackshear. All I see folks do on the lake is ride to a sand bar and party all day and that's not my intentions.

I guess the pontoon would be fine on river normally doesn't get to narrow nor shallow so the pontoon would work as well as just a fishing boat.

I have a buddy that is a hardcore striper fisherman. Even though he could write a check for any boat he wants, he fishes out of a pontoon. He's had bass boats and center consoles, but always goes back to the pontoon.

Back
Top Bottom