• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Wildlife sanctuary laws?

Voodooeyes

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
Hello ODT!
I just recently moved into Big Canoe which is a gated community located on a wildlife sanctuary. Its awesome seeing so much wildlife but last night a black bear decided it was going to tear its way onto my screened in porch, attempt to get IN my house before my little 19lbs dog startled it. Busted out the other side of my porch and across the screet. Now come to find out that bear tore my neighbors garage door off its tracks and raided his kitchen!!!
I have a 4 1/2 year old son... and from what I am told by the locals there is nothing I can do aside from try to scare off the bear as if any harm comes to the bear I can be put in jail? I understand we are in his home but at what point does personal safety supersied sanctuary laws??

call DNR they will remove the bear. and if you do feel the need to shoot it you better have it all on tape. Black bears scare so easy that for to not get in trouble 1. nobody ever knew you did it or 2. you pretty much need to have a limb bthat has bear bites in it for proof

You can shoot the bear only in a situation where you are protecting you or some else's life in an attack. In most cases bears will run at the sight and sound of humans. Where you see most people getting attacked is where they are feeding them and the bears decides he wants to try the hand that feeds it.

I would think if he was inside your screened in porch let alone kitchen you would be good .

But I would call dnr or whomever agency before he has a chance to break in again. Funny a 19 lb dog caused a bear to flee!

Back
Top Bottom