• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

US gun laws

Do y’all think AR’s are going to be banned in the future? Or would we just have to have low capacity mags like some of the other states. I know Georgia is mainly republican so there’s prob a good chance they won’t, but I just need to know if I need to stock up before I can’t get em anymore. Let me know in the comments

The far left states which have implemented these unconstitutional laws, have done so with broad support from their electorates, usually after a media amplified shooting to assist with their passage. In those states, it's tyranny of the majority, and SCOTUS is complicit with those infringements. The only thing 2A supporters do in those states is move to 2A friendly states, which bolsters even more anti gun laws due to the erosion of the pro 2A population. I see this pattern repeating itself until there are no more states to escape to or a federal ban simply guts the remainder of the 2A.

The sad irony is the 2A is supposed to protect from this kind of infringement on our rights, but so far there is zero willingness from the armed American populace to forcibly resist unconstitutional laws. I think the most plausible explanation is that Americans are so comfortable with their cushy lifestyles, resisting these laws is not worth potentially losing everything.

Rights aside, we used to be able to say that there's a practical benefit of having the second amendment-- it keeps us safe.
Safer with it than without it.
Widespread ownership of firearms (although obviously coming with some problems and occasional misuse or negligent discharges) was a net benefit to society.
Therefore, even if you could effectively take away the guns from the people, it would be a net detriment. Most people would end up being less safe.

Is that still true today?
In 2023, how much value do individual small arms have for resisting an invading army? Resisting our own tyrannical government or police if they should declare war on the people and try to impose martial law on us?

I see very little utility for firearms in civilian hands today serving those two historical functions, at least compared to the great amount of utility privately owned small arms used to have a century or more ago.

Then, on the other side of the equation, we have to look at the risks of having a well armed society. A society where anybody can get almost any gun they want no questions asked and if not from an FFL dealership with paperwork involved then they can get it easily and affordably anonymously off of the streets.

How are Americans' morals today compared to the moral compass most Americans had 100 or more years ago? What happened to respect for the law? What happened to a belief in God and an innate desire to live according to the written instructions God had created for mankind? Today's Americans (and really I'm going back a couple of generations here) believe in secular humanism. Look out for yourself. Get immediate gratification. Do what gives you pleasure today and don't think about the consequences. You're just an animal --an advanced version of a monkey. Therefore when you feel your animal urges, go with them (it's unnatural to deny them.)

Given the moral decay of our society,
do guns really represent as low of a risk as they used to represent?

If you want to keep your gun rights you should come up with an argument for the utility of guns in our society and do a risk /,benefit analysis.

Why? Because just quoting the Second Amendment isn't enough anymore.
Liberal Democrats don't believe in the law, therefore they don't believe in the Constitution either, and they don't think anything written by a bunch of dead white slave-holding rich men should have any influence over today's society.

Any time we provide a great reason as to why firearms (namely AR’s) are necessary in our society, it immediately gets shut down by libs screaming about school shootings and such. Do they realize that any weapon could be used to kill a ton of people. Someone could go into a school right now with a bat and maul a bunch of people. Same could be said for a pistol vs an AR. They’re not saying much when it comes to handguns, but those are prob more deadly than the ar’s just because they’re so easy to conceal. There’s so much to this argument

Any time we provide a great reason as to why firearms (namely AR’s) are necessary in our society, it immediately gets shut down by libs screaming about school shootings and such. Do they realize that any weapon could be used to kill a ton of people. Someone could go into a school right now with a bat and maul a bunch of people. Same could be said for a pistol vs an AR. They’re not saying much when it comes to handguns, but those are prob more deadly than the ar’s just because they’re so easy to conceal. There’s so much to this argument
59% vs. 3%, handguns to rifles for type of weapon (reported) in gun homicides and non-negligent manslaughters (where the type was reported).

You think reducing homicides can be achieved by outlawing and confiscating a type of firearm, you'd be a fool to ignore handguns. But that's not what this about. It's about people control.

In 2023, how much value do individual small arms have for resisting an invading army? Resisting our own tyrannical government or police if they should declare war on the people and try to impose martial law on us?
1681837959280.png

If we look at the Vietnam and Afghan wars, I'd say the potential is definitely there. The issue is the conviction of your modern, gun-owning American is incomparable to that of Taliban and Vietcong fighters.

(Not trying to be a jerk)

Maybe you should get politically active rather than sitting in the backseat waiting for whatever comes.
Me? I am. I've been to the Gold Dome many times to advocate for pro 2A bills. Each time I was there, I was usually about 1 of 4 pro 2A people vs. about 12+ anti in committee hearings.

Back
Top Bottom