• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester 37A .410 Restore

Back in the house. Time to blue the barrel. Polished off all the old rust and blue, jitterbug, wirebrush and bootstrap. Finish is 120g.

Two incorrect screws....the source of the galling on the knees of the action....heads stick up and rub the action. As for the wood forend, stripped holes to be repaired, two extra and unneeded holes (don't know what they might have been for!) and a small crack to epoxy and stabilize the back end. I suspect I'll also glass bed the back end of the forend to seal and strengthen it for the long haul.

i.imgur.com_fiVFiHh.jpg

First coating of Pilkingtons on and into the damp box for the initial one hour rust....then a second wipe of Pilk, a two hour rust and first boil tonight. With luck and no streaks or spots, we should have all the iron on this gun done by Sat evening or Sunday.

i.imgur.com_EfZygy3.jpg

First boil at the three hour mark and a good bite of battle ship grey under the smudge. I'm pleased. This one will blacken up nicely.

i.imgur.com_Nj9vsyG.jpg

i.imgur.com_lUYaPXU.jpg

Barrels done and oiled. Off to the wood next. Decided to go with a red toned Minwax Gunstock stain. Ain't no curl or eyes in the wood but nice figure that should pop and the redder tone will be more like the old school.

i.imgur.com_7W23M5y.jpg

i.imgur.com_YmSQ2z1.jpg

i.imgur.com_IjRhh7w.jpg

MuddyGirl27 looked it over and said, "Is that Duct Tape?".......Yes Dear, I ain't quite done yet! She's just like her Grandma.

i.imgur.com_4eRWT89.jpg

i.imgur.com_xj655FS.jpg

i.imgur.com_t6iYhsi.jpg

Stock is stripped. It was previously sanded against the grain with about 5 grit. Lots of boogers to remove. Beyond stain, there was no sealer so lots of dirt and yuck ground in over the years. After a double trip thru the sink with stripper, the stock is whiskered and marked to shorten it a bit for a lady. At 14" length of pull, its too long. I marked it with a scribe and am taking off 3/4". About right for an average man or young lady that has stopped growing taller.

i.imgur.com_0r2h2Ej.jpg

After refitting the original rubber buttplate (stinks when ya grind em!) the entire stock is sanded with worn out 120g via jitter bug. The wood is iron hard and takes a nice finish with the worn paper and its not so aggressive that I am able to stay well above the compressed areas of the roll stamped negative checkering. The checkering stays darker than the surrounding gunstock finish and I plan to leave the color pale to help hide any flaws that just can't be sanded out without ruining the stock.

i.imgur.com_GyCiFwb.jpg

On this side, all the grime removed except what was ground into the softer pores of the wood, highlighting the grain nicely. Had this been clean/fresh stock wood, it would either have needed acid reagent stain or black stain (sanded back) in order to highlight the grain so nicely.

i.imgur.com_cBB3Dsi.jpg

On this side, plenty of grime that was ground in but could not be removed or floated out and a couple of shadows appeared in the finish. But not too bad and so I left it as is. The look will be just fine for a hunter that'll see the scuffs and scrapes of hard duty in a young persons hands.

i.imgur.com_F633ctR.jpg

Fortunately, the original roll pressed negative checkering was done quite deep and all the checkering on this set of wood has survived multiple sanding and refinishing. The wood is now just a whisker higher than the checkering. Next person to refinish it will need to either cut the impression to positive checkering or at least mask off the negative checkering to prevent it from being sanded away.

i.imgur.com_lk103sS.jpg

Final rub out on 5 coats of urethane using Brownells fff mixed with gun oil. Satin smooth finish. A last coat or two of johnsons paste wax on all the wood and metal with a buff after it dries a bit.

i.imgur.com_GfLoXPw.jpg

i.imgur.com_cJSbCqT.jpg

i.imgur.com_FPQIkbQ.jpg

i.imgur.com_FuC1N8N.jpg

i.imgur.com_gBwjzNB.jpg

i.imgur.com_MX6JjP8.jpg

One very happy MuddyGirl27, ready to learn to swing and pull and maybe bust a few squirrels, and with a good gun, perhaps doing it regularly for life.

Thanks Pal! Ya made this youngin's heart happy! Now to teach her loosen up and keep it moving, the exact opposite of everything I taught her bout rifle shootin!

i.imgur.com_YiLP4KE.jpg

i.imgur.com_H4r9cM0.jpg

One more to go, a double 410 for the youngest of my GrandGals, Sugar Princess is itchin to see hers when I get back from fishing next weekend! (And, somewhere along the line I started to get a hankerin for an 18" barreled short stocked 12 or 20g SxS Hammer for close in work!)

Back
Top Bottom