• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Winchester 94 30-30 Restyle

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Win 94 Ranger, 20 inch barrel, 30-30, 1986 YOM, in excellent condition.
1.jpeg

Scope and mounting hardware arrived. Thoughts are.

Heavy solid feel, though shorter than a typical 3x9x40 this 30mm 1x4 feels fully as heavy and more solid.

Very clear, out to the edges.

Fast focus eye piece and a 100 yard parallax.

Cross hairs are no where as heavy as I'd like on a hunter but I think the clarity and brightness will compensate.

Generous eye relief and so far, it appears that throughout the magnification range there is no blurring of the target or the reticle or around the circumference of the lens.

I like the Vortex aluminum rings, these are low mount. Again, they feel much more solid than the Weaver brand rings. At first, I thought they might be steel but alas, no. Fine matt finish on them. At a lower price point than many of the weaver products, I'm impressed so far.

The weaver bases are standard for this version of the Winchester 94. I've used them previously on the Big Bore 307 and they held up well.

2.jpeg

Essentialy new in box. Still has the sharpie sequence numbers on the interior parts.

Today was likely it's first shots. The rebound hammer breaks clean after a yard of take-up. Have to fix that, but the hard cci primers all went off first try.

Scopes on and is super quick and clear. For half off from midway.usa, I'm tickled.

TIme to shorten barrel, mag tube and stock and see if I can get it all in under 7 lbs. Maybe 6.5 ish. Currently it's 7.2 lbs, scoped, empty.

4.jpeg
3.jpeg

Factory magazine tube for the 20 inch barrel is 19" and change. The factory magazine spring is 29 inches and change.

Here are the cut offs and removed/no longer needed components.

The shortened magazine tube is now 9.625" long and the spring is now 19.75" long. With the sights and barrel band, 3.7 ounces were removed and the gun has now met its empty weight goal of Under 7 lbs. More to follow.

New capacity is 3+1, fine for me.

5.jpeg

The magazine tube was cut 9.625" long with a tubing cutter. The cut end, chamfered and deburred. A shallow #31 hole was drilled at the appropriate location in the barrel for the magazine cap screw....this holds in the spring and keeps the entire assembly from coming out of the forend. The hole was drilled slightly deeper than the length of the retention screw so that there is no upward pressure on the barrel from the magazine assembly. With the elimination of the barrel band and screw the barrel is less likely to move when heated from shot to shot, potentially providing slightly improved accuracy/consistency from shot to shot. Just forward of the magazine tube cap, I plan to fit a sling swivel mount for carry. (Though the magazine is well retained, this closely fitted sling swivel mount will also provide peace of mind against the mag tube ever jumping clear of its mount. Forend will be glass bedded anyway, so I enjoy solid mounting/no movement over a life time of use.)

6.jpeg

5/8" off the butt for 12 7/8" lop, same as my Rossi R92. 1.5 oz weight loss, so now about 6.4 lbs, scoped and empty. <This 94 is now less than 1 lb heavier, scoped/empty than my Rossi R92 357 with iron sights.>

9.jpeg

Snaps right up, doesn't snag jacket. Scope is right there.

Stock length compared. Subtile look, worlds different for feel and ease of mounting.

Now to hollow, add swivel stud and glass bed before refinishing.

11.jpeg
10.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom