• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Winchester 94 30-30 Restyle

Took about 30 minutes to get the trigger work done. No honeing at all, just polished hammer butt that rides on top of the sear. Sear where it rides the spring, spring (both legs) where it rides the sear and the lever interlock, top of the interlock where it rides the spring, Sides of the sear where it rides inside the trigger group. Hammer block safety where it rubs the inside of the action. Fingers on the hammer strut that rub the hammer. Hammer strut where the coil spring fits over the shaft. And, I clipped 1.5 coils from the spring between the sear and trigger. Cleaned and reassembled with EEZOX dry lube on all points.

The weight settled in at a very usable/safe 4.5lbs. Its so much smoother and the release does not drag anymore, it just breaks over and the shot is gone.

I do note the sear and hammer are rather crappily finished inside where you cant see them, but, the contact points were at least smoothed out by the factory and then polished here. The springs had never been polished, neither had the strut or lever interlock.

Overall, improved. No more action work needs to be done and thankfully, there are no mim parts inside......as already noted, this is a forged 4144 receiver, not the earlier sintered (MIM grandpa) metal frame.

Not much more to do but dip the stocks, (fingers tapping impatiently) and go hunting.

Finishing up the trigger set up this morning. Winchester addressed the floppy trigger complaints on this model via a spring between sear and trigger. (As far as I know Marlin never addressed their floppy trigger....perhaps they didn't want to be known for twice copying a Winchester design..... :) )The factory spring length and rate provides about 2 lbs of force needed to compress the spring. Only enough is needed to eliminate trigger rattle so clipping coils and checking fit, I eliminated half the length of this spring, shown clipped below. No rattle, minimum added weight to trigger pull.

13.jpeg

The force of both legs of the sear and interlock spring are manipulated during the trigger pull. Careful bending (and polishing of contact points noted previously) of both legs reduces the trigger pull weight. Final pull gauges out at 3 lb 14 oz. So cleaning, polish, spring adjustments (no stoning, and no weaker main spring needed, all factory set engagement surfaces maintained) shaved about 2 lb 8 ounces off the factory pull.

14.jpeg

Overall not a fan of the hydro dip process, though it looks pretty. Since it's paint base, I'll expect it to be as low in durability. In the future I'll stick to traditional wood finish or find some fella likes to dip. (70 for a kit, after this I'd just pay 150 not to have to go through all the fuss or trusty flat black for plain wood.)

Back
Top Bottom