• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WMA QUOTA HUNT

75S216E

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
11   0
Reaction score
Anyone ever been on a quota hunt at a Georgia WMA? I was selected for a November hunt at Berry College WMA and I have never hunted a WMA or any public land for that matter. What do I need to take, expect etc...??

I am sure I could contact the WMA to find out but I thought I would run it pass you all first in hopes that someone could offer a first-hand account.

The date range is 11/29/17 - 12/03/17. I am not sure if I have a certain day that I have to go or if I can choose a day or multiple days during that period.

You can go any time during that period. Berry will be crowded. Your best bet to avoid having someone sitting in you lap is to get off the main roads and hike in a little. The WMA dirt roads will be open to vehicles, and you will see trucks driving around in there, so it's a good idea to get a little distance between you and the road. Two areas you might want to check out are the very NE end, near Armuchee, and the area south of Berry Reservoir. The NE end was the only place I saw any deer. I'd recommend parking at the power line and hiking in north of there. I saw some guys take a buck or two out of the area near Berry reservoir, but didn't see any myself. I'd definitely recommend scouting before hand to pick a few spots out.

The date range is 11/29/17 - 12/03/17. I am not sure if I have a certain day that I have to go or if I can a day or multiple days during that period.
You can go any time during that period. Berry will be crowded. Your best bet to avoid having someone sitting in you lap is to get off the main roads and hike in a little. The WMA dirt roads will be open to vehicles, and you will see trucks driving around in there, so it's a good idea to get a little distance between you and the road. Two areas you might want to check out are the very NE end, near Armuchee, and the area south of Berry Reservoir. The NE end was the only place I saw any deer. I'd recommend parking at the power line and hiking in north of there. I saw some guys take a buck or two out of the area near Berry reservoir, but didn't see any myself. I'd definitely recommend scouting before hand to pick a few spots out.

Thanks for the info. Did you use a climber?

If you are selected for a quota hunt you can hunt any or all days within the date range for that particular hunt that you were selected for.
I was selected for this hunt. I can only hunt on the days that are listed. I can arrive a day early to scout and can pull stands/break camp on the day after if need be.
IMG_4641.jpg

Anyone ever been on a quota hunt at a Georgia WMA? I was selected for a November hunt at Berry College WMA and I have never hunted a WMA or any public land for that matter. What do I need to take, expect etc...??

I am sure I could contact the WMA to find out but I thought I would run it pass you all first in hopes that someone could offer a first-hand account.
Body armor.

i would definitely wear a kevlar vest -

lot of drunk rednecks out there shooting at anything moving
I am in for the orange and bullet proof vests, last drawing hunt I went to was 15 years ago and never again, Maybe the leaves will be gone and they, the hunters , can recognize you as a hunter and not a deer.

Back
Top Bottom