• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wool for warmth even wet

Survivor Johnny

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
Most people know that wool can keep your body heat even when its wet. The Vikings used wool and seal skins to make foul weather gear that beats what we use even now. I watched a test between suits like they made and the bright orange cold water survival suits they issue now. With sensors to record body heat, the Viking suit was substantially better for keeping core temps higher even when soaked in icey water. So.... A lot of survivalist like to keep wool blanket in their kits. I wanted a wool poncho to use as a blanket/poncho liner and after searching (and being shocked by the high prices) I decided to make one from a military wool blanket. Well, those are not cheap anymore either, so this is what I came up with. At harbor freight for only $9.99 in the packing/moving blanket section. Its 60"x80" and not as itchy as I thought it would be

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I keep one in each vehicle for all family members.

Had a flat last July when temps. were in the high 90's -100's. The pavement was hot enough to melt the rubber off shoes.
Showed my son one reason why the wool blanket was kept in the vehicle kit even in the summer by laying it down on the pavement under us as we worked on the tire.

Great item w/ many uses... a must have for emergency kits in my opinion.

Another reason that wool was used as a military uniform and parts of military kit for so long, is that wool will not catch fire like cotton. If an ember hits it, it will usually smother out. Of course, fire will destroy it. But it won't catch up and burn. Sorry if that's confusing at all.

While on the subject, get some de-scaled wool socks as well. Cool in summer and warm in winter. More comfortable than cotton and they don't hold moisture. Smartwool is among the best I've used. I use them for everyday around the house, cycling, half marathons and 10k road races. Great stuff.
Darn Tuff (Tough?) socks are pretty good too, and have a lifetime warranty. Smartwool is a touch better though.

Back
Top Bottom