• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Worst recoiling gun you've shot.

I'm not recoil sensitive but out of all the guns I've owned or shot, the worst recoiling guns that come to mind. Mossberg 835 with heavy weight turkey loads. I cringe even when shooting at a turkey with this beast. I think I've dislodged some vertabra shooting this gun. Second Remington 600 carbine in 350 rem Mag. From a standing position not too bad. From a bench the recoil shocks my bones like a tuning fork welded by Thor. I think continual firing would cause multiple myeloma. I've got a 458 wm, 416 Rigby and a 375 HH mag that don't hurt as much as these two.
So what gun do you not looking forward to shoot or have decided never again?
In the s70's I had two shoulder killers. Both of them Marlins. The 36" barreled Marlin Goose Gun got my attention so I just HAD to get a Marlin Super Goose in 10 gauge. They are not a lot of fun to shoot with other people around.............to watch all the crying and stuff...........

This may sound ridiculous but it's true. That dang PSA PA-10 308 absolutely hurt when I shot it the first time. It was so over gassed it was ridiculous! After I put the 5.4 Oz buffer and the adjustable gas block its just a little bump like a 6.8 SPC now. I was not at all prepared for that. I had one of those slip-on recall pads for the mil-spec stock I put on there for the second one. I had it stuck in my range bag for some reason and I absolutely had to use it. You wouldn't think a 308 would hit like that but on that gun it was stupid.

Probably one of these.

Boys_anti-tank_rifle_SA-kuva_113135.jpg
Was it chambered in .55 or .50BMG? I shot that rifle in .50BMG and it wasn't bad... compared to the 378 Weatherby Magnum I shot next!! I would have had scope eye but my glasses saved me! Yup, worst recoil I have ever felt!

I'm not recoil sensitive but out of all the guns I've owned or shot, the worst recoiling guns that come to mind. Mossberg 835 with heavy weight turkey loads. I cringe even when shooting at a turkey with this beast. I think I've dislodged some vertabra shooting this gun. Second Remington 600 carbine in 350 rem Mag. From a standing position not too bad. From a bench the recoil shocks my bones like a tuning fork welded by Thor. I think continual firing would cause multiple myeloma. I've got a 458 wm, 416 Rigby and a 375 HH mag that don't hurt as much as these two.
So what gun do you not looking forward to shoot or have decided never again?
Sounds like you need to buy my BRNO CZ 602 in 450 Dakota (with ammo), then let us know your opinion on it.

This may sound ridiculous but it's true. That dang PSA PA-10 308 absolutely hurt when I shot it the first time. It was so over gassed it was ridiculous! After I put the 5.4 Oz buffer and the adjustable gas block its just a little bump like a 6.8 SPC now. I was not at all prepared for that. I had one of those slip-on recall pads for the mil-spec stock I put on there for the second one. I had it stuck in my range bag for some reason and I absolutely had to use it. You wouldn't think a 308 would hit like that but on that gun it was stupid.
My PA-10 came with adjustable carbine stock so I feel your pain. It was ridiculous and punishing.
After installing a Magpul PRS with rifle buffer its a joy to shoot and very accurate too. It's still a little over gassed as I didn't mess with that but the PRS is awesome and tamed it immediately!

mag672-blk_prs_gen3_precision-adjustable_stock_01_1.jpg

Was it chambered in .55 or .50BMG? I shot that rifle in .50BMG and it wasn't bad... compared to the 378 Weatherby Magnum I shot next!! I would have had scope eye but my glasses saved me! Yup, worst recoil I have ever felt!

Edit: to put my post in context, that's a Boys Anti-Tank Rifle from WW2

If I remember correctly, that would make it a Mk1, which I think has a reputation for being the nastiest.

Back
Top Bottom