• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WTB powder coat for casting

North Ga Hillbilly

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
37   1
Reaction score
I am looking to start powder coating cast and was hoping someone in cobb county had some they would sell. I live in Marietta, work on the east side of ATL.

I’m not too picky on color, I just want to be able to make sure I enjoy/ can make the process work and then I’ll likely buy a few pounds.

thanks again

I've got 15lb of Sherwin Williams Gloss black, I'm down in Newnan though.. I'd personally skip the HF offerings, even with the "piglet" acetone application method it's no good. (I have shown this on the "what have you reloaded today" thread) If I were you, I'd just skip the PC and go right to HI-TEK. I'll still do small plain pistol boolets with PC, but any HP or rifle ones are HI-TEK only. If you end up having to order some just stick to a more well known name, and the Gloss' just seem to do better. Eastwood, Smokes, Sherwin Williams.

Best of luck in your coating journey! If you make it down around Newnan anytime in the next week or so I'd let a few lbs. Go at cost.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Keep Warm and healthy out there :)

Thank you very much for the insight. I have some Harbor Freight red that I managed decent coverage with two coats, but the flow out was really inconsistent.

I am going to look into all options and spend more time on cast boolits.

Thanks again

I’m just the opposite. I prefer pc over hitek. I don’t like having to do multiple coats and hitek is really easy to mess up. You can also get leading if you load too hot.

PC is like a jacketed bullet. I load them full power and also pay no attention to hardness any longer. You can pc and shoot just about any alloy at any velocity.

smokes powders tumble really well. I use a plastic container with a few bbs and get so much coverage that i have to be mindful to shake off excess. Crappy powders could set you back and discourage you. Get some good powder that is known to work so that you eliminate any possible issues with the powder and can focus just on the process and it’ll save you some possible frustration.

i been powder coating for many mango seasons. forget the harbor freight powder. it does not work well and will turn you off from powder coating. years ago hf powder worked, not so much now. i think they changed their powder to a cheaper grade. go over to the cast boolits and read up on powder coating. smoke4320 is the way to go to buy powder.

yes powder coating will add some more work/time to get your cast bullets done. but it is not hard to do once you learn the tricks and find out which way works best for you. everybody has their own tricks they like and use.

if you have any questions on what to buy and how to use it, a fast and dirty starter kit info pm me your phone number.

Back
Top Bottom