• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WTF! I thought that the guys here were picky?!

I was issued M855 A1 enhanced rounds in Afghanistan. They would crank through mud huts forever. We saw a definite change in exit wound size, this is from actual body examination too not just hearsay. I don't know why, but I plugged some dudes with green tips and it would pin hole both sides usually exit wound some crazy distance away from entrance. Then we got the enhanced rounds, you can see and kinda move the penetrator tip on the round, definitely looked crazy, started hitting Talib with them and BAM, Dip-Can sized exit wounds? We didn't complain in fact we started calling them soul-stoppers. I was an E6 infantry squad leader and some of my peers went back to the green tip fearing liability from smashing through mud huts, I took all their enhanced rounds and loaded my squad heavy AF. We only got so many and once they were gone we went back to green tips

The M855A1 features a steel penetrator on top of a solid copper slug, making it is more dependable than the current M855, Army officials have maintained. It delivers consistent performance at all distances and performed better than the current-issue 7.62mm round against hardened steel targets in testing, Army officials maintain. It penetrates 3/8s-inch-thick steel at ranges approaching 400 meters, tripling the performance of the M855.

I'm not too sure about this .......

I'm not too sure about this .......
Yeah we never heard the reason they issued them, and to be 100% honest I didn't know nearly as much as I do now about ballistics and firearms while I was serving. It's unnecessary to teach soldiers why their **** is doing what it's doing just do it. I can only speak from my on the ground experience with the round and the general consensus of fellow shooters with me on the ground. I did see enlarged exit wounds but there's all kind of factors. I.e. Bullets flying each damn direction from 20 different bbls (combining both sides friendly and foe) I did watch two guys burst out from a grape hut about 25m in front of my team leader and watched him hose both of them down with his M4 and the new M855A1 and their backsides were blown out. Shot a dude from same distance myself with a green tip and he pin holed on both sides, and stayed alive long enough to direct an ambush on his radio and pull a frag. He did not stay alive through the clearing operation in which many green tips pin holed him. Russian frag did not det. Wish I had been more savvy and took more time to research back when I had so much access to restricted kit but my mind was elsewhere

Yeah we never heard the reason they issued them, and to be 100% honest I didn't know nearly as much as I do now about ballistics and firearms while I was serving. It's unnecessary to teach soldiers why their **** is doing what it's doing just do it. I can only speak from my on the ground experience with the round and the general consensus of fellow shooters with me on the ground. I did see enlarged exit wounds but there's all kind of factors. I.e. Bullets flying each damn direction from 20 different bbls (combining both sides friendly and foe) I did watch two guys burst out from a grape hut about 25m in front of my team leader and watched him hose both of them down with his M4 and the new M855A1 and their backsides were blown out. Shot a dude from same distance myself with a green tip and he pin holed on both sides, and stayed alive long enough to direct an ambush on his radio and pull a frag. He did not stay alive through the clearing operation in which many green tips pin holed him. Russian frag did not det. Wish I had been more savvy and took more time to research back when I had so much access to restricted kit but my mind was elsewhere

Actually, this >>> It penetrates 3/8s-inch-thick steel at ranges approaching 400 meters <<<<< is the part I was talking about.

Actually, this >>> It penetrates 3/8s-inch-thick steel at ranges approaching 400 meters <<<<< is the part I was talking about.
Oh yeah I'm with you, just saying I had no idea why the hell it was doin anything it was doin, and never had or saw any opportunity to test its claims on the ground. Oh well, that's for the new generation to worry bout now.

What a wonderful world it would be if each person on the factory floor could choose their own sewing machine!

Generic specifications = Lower-Overall-Costs. This is not only true of the initial acquisition, but the whole cost of maintaining a viable supply chain. This is quickly forgotten when the end-user gets to choose his / her personal favorite ... Remember: "Better is the enemy of Good-Enough". If you want to blow holes clean through a mud-hut: Use an M60 loaded with .308's or a BMG .50 Caliber MG! This logic fails when the troops are doing police work instead of waging a war!

Keep in mind that Germany lost WWII because they were constantly seeking new, better weapons, while we buried them in Good Enough!

Back
Top Bottom