dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
i added a p1 to the stable
IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

sights: the white dot and bar sights on the p1 easily win over the black blade front and no color rear sights
IMG_0421.JPG

weight: the p1 aluminum frame is ridiculous light compared ot the steel frame of the p38

finish:the p38 Russian capture does have more rust pits that were cleaned and re-blued over by the Russians but the steel still beats the aluminum for over-time appearance. the p1 paint walther used comes off the aluminum frame easily on the edges it appears but they didn't have cera-kote type paint yet

balance: the p1 feels top heavy due to its steel slide and barrel on top of the aluminum frame where as the heavy p38 feels balanced better and like you could pistol whip some one into a concussion with fractured skull easily

magazine release: both are heel release for many hard to get used to but it works to keep the magazine in

ammo of choice: the walther p-38 refused work proper with 115gr remington fmj and only liked the federal 115gr fmj, the newer improved walther p1 fed both the remington and the federal with great accuracy

trigger pull: the walther p1 has a smoother and slightly easier trigger pull for target practice, the p38 has a abrupt stop when the slack is stopped in da and too heavy a pull to be useful but in emergency. Th e single action is the same on both models

fit: both fit nice and tight like a Walther should, the p1 has a thicker slide to account for weaknesses with the earlier p1 model post war
IMG_0423.JPG

the final question of would I carry either is...... the p1 would easily be my carry pistol if i was in the c&r mood that day but the p-38 would sit it out in the display of the other war relics/range toys. the p1 was as acurate if not more so then many new production 9mm handguns even though it went through 2 refurbs and then was packed and shipped to the united states before they got a third refurb done

i added a p1 to the stable
View attachment 1032035
View attachment 1032037

sights: the white dot and bar sights on the p1 easily win over the black blade front and no color rear sights
View attachment 1032058

weight: the p1 aluminum frame is ridiculous light compared ot the steel frame of the p38

finish:the p38 Russian capture does have more rust pits that were cleaned and re-blued over by the Russians but the steel still beats the aluminum for over-time appearance. the p1 paint walther used comes off the aluminum frame easily on the edges it appears but they didn't have cera-kote type paint yet

balance: the p1 feels top heavy sue ot its steel slide and barrel on top of the aluminum frame where as the heavy p38 feels balanced better and like you could pistol whip some one into a concussion with fractured skull easily

magazine release: both are heel release for many hard to get used to but it works to keep the magazine in

trigger pull: the walther p1 has a smoother and slightly easier trigger pull for targetp ractice, the p38 has a abrupt stop when the slack is stopped in da and too heavy a da pul lto be useful but in emergency. Th e single action is the same on both models

fit: both fit nice and tight like a Walther should, the p1 has a thicker slide to accoutn for weaknesses with the earlier p1 model post war
Great write up! I dig it!

Back
Top Bottom