Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful

I'm calling BS on that. If it's true, look for the home video game industry to collapse on a scale that will make the '83 Crash look like a minor market correction...

Backwards compatibility was pretty much doomed since, both MS and Sony allowed such options to be absent from later revisions of their current consoles. However, the "tagging" for games to prevent them from being used on another console; is basically smoke. The PS4 is already slated to be able to play used games and, you can bet MS will follow suit. It would be suicidal not to.

I'm calling BS on that. If it's true, look for the home video game industry to collapse on a scale that will make the '83 Crash look like a minor market correction...

I think they are gearing the industry for downloaded games only..No more disks to buy.

I think they are gearing the industry for downloaded games only..No more disks to buy.

Perhaps in another generation or two. Killing physical media would basically help eliminate much of the casual market. Many are not willing to wait 2+ hours to download their 17GB+ title. Not to mention data caps that many ISP's are possibly planning for consumers.

I get why they'd want to do it...it sounds good in theory. Problem is I think it backfires big time in real life. Used games are a HUUUUGE part of the video game industry and if gamers don't have that option, I just don't see how the market can sustain itself. Many new games sales are made directly by trading in used games, that's just the reality. I'm not claiming to be an expert or industry knowitall or anything, but I did work at EB Games just before it got bought out and turned into Gamestop and I saw it all the time...customers bringing in stacks of trade-ins to pay for whatever the latest new title was. If people don't have that option, fewer new games will be sold. And if you know you're absolutely stuck with a game when you buy it, you're also likely to be much more picky about how you spend your gaming dollars.

The backwards compatibility...meh. It was a nice little gimmick, but I don't know how many times I ever actually played an original XBox game on my 360. A few times, maybe, but never did any actual "gaming" like that. I'll just hold onto my 360 if I ever want to play older games again. Although...now that I think about it...if enough people think like that and keep their old system...a lot of people did trade in old systems for the new one, so if they don't have that option, that will undoubtedly affect the new system sales.

The always on internet connection is another idea that seems good on paper...but I can think of several plausible reasons that I might not have an active connection but would still want to be able to play my games. It's bad enough to miss out on some multiplayer if there's an outage in the area or whatever...but to not even be able to play single player because ATT is having cable issues or something? That'd be a bit much to swallow...

Hopefully more reasonable heads prevail with this nonsense or, as I said, we'll see something bad happen to the video game industry like what happened '83-85 when it declined 97%...

Meh... I haven't played anything online other than Battlefield Bad Company 2 in years! (you would think I would be better at it)
For offline game play I still use a PS2 and still think its cool
I'm slow to change on these things and most likely will wait years to go with another console as long as my old Xbox Elite still serves me well.

This console gen will be very interesting. If Microsoft does go with the water marked disks I think I will be going to Sony. Though I am currently taking steps to move to PC gaming so I might by an NVIDIA shield so I can stream my pc games to my hand held. Couple that with the Steambox and the fact that steam is now linux friendly and I think the PC will have this gen.

Back
Top Bottom