• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yeah 22 LR bullet trap conclusion,

Well I was about 45 minutes from RBGC in Georgia when I lived there the last 3 or 4 years. Now up in VA. I am about a mile away from thousands of acres of state land but state law doesn't allow target shooting on state owned land. I am about three miles from a guy I met up here and he let's me shoot on a small section of land he owns. I can get out to about 75 yards there with excellent hillside to shoot into. It's set up just like a range set up just due to the contour of the land. However, he has a pack of dogs. All American Stafordshire Terriers and a wife we have to take into consideration. So it's hit or miss on planed shoots. So I am still 45 minutes away from land I can go hog wild on.

Or I could use the trap outside with it set up in the yard in front of a big tree. So I could do that with little danger of stray shots. Just to close neighbors to shoot outside. Neighbors are so close it would bother them. I could shoot from the inside out with ease but that's not wise either. Just have to hope to meet someone up here with a lot of land close by. I would build him a rifle for shooting benefits no problemo. It would be well worth that.

I second the rubber mulch trap. Every couple of years I use the shopvac and suck up all the mulch, the lead stays at the bottom, and intact. For 22lr, you can just use a homer bucket full of rubber mulch, use the lid as the target face and duct tape over the holes when they get bad.

FYI, 22lr and 9mm doesn't go farther than 12" deep in my rubber mulch trap.

Just to round out the fear a bit (although I know you got the message - indoor shooting is bad, mmmk?)

The last risk is actually the residue from primer ignition. Different 22LR manufacturers use different formulations for their primers, but as far as I can remember, ALL of them include at least some heavy metal compounds that end up getting out into the air when they detonate.

A handy-dandy, five minute article here that talks about primers. Even modern ones contain lead and barium compounds,

Priming Compounds and Primers Introduction

Just to round out the fear a bit (although I know you got the message - indoor shooting is bad, mmmk?)

The last risk is actually the residue from primer ignition. Different 22LR manufacturers use different formulations for their primers, but as far as I can remember, ALL of them include at least some heavy metal compounds that end up getting out into the air when they detonate.

A handy-dandy, five minute article here that talks about primers. Even modern ones contain lead and barium compounds,

Priming Compounds and Primers Introduction
Nice to know. I wonder how much money ranges spend with range ventilation. It's gotta be huge to get the air exchanged rapidly enough to actually be worth a damn. Makes you wonder.

Back
Top Bottom